Summertime Carpin

Hey guys,

I'm on my late summer carp stint... I've always just used a can of sweet corn or a frozen bag of corn for chum but also usually fished spots that already hold carp so I didn't need much. Now I'm experimenting with trying to bring the fish to more accessible spots by chumming in larger quantities.

Over my holidays I had the kids pick a cooler full of cows corn from the field behind our house, but it took forever to clean and prep...

383849_10150955247921580_481614392_n.jpg

Where do you get your maize or whatever you use for chum? I'm ok with having to boil it but cleaning cob after cob was a pain... :wallbash:

By the way, chumming works... :thumbsup_anim: I hooked a few brutes over my holiday - here's a good one below... not a great picture but it does the trick... I fished a spot that rarely ever holds fish and is MUCH easier to get to then my usual spots... it means more time with a line in the water and it's accessible for my kids as well..

394500_10150960749336580_1490620695_n.jpg

Anywyas, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan

That is a dandy carp. Try a local feed store. You can get dried " cow corn " there. There are different size bags any where from 50 to 90 lbs. It's cheap and easy to store. Just soak it over night then boil it for a while. This will soften it and the heat will convert some of the starch to sugar. Bait your spot every day at the same time for three days before fishing. Try 10 lbs at a time to start or just use the biggest pot you have.

An English bloke over for a month last year bought his corn at a pet store...boy was it nice and clean...sometimes the maize from the feed stores is clean but you have to ask for it if not you get chunks of chaffe etc...

Ryan, i dont know why you dont keep in contact with me anymore, especially for questions like this. Your answer is simple: call rich, who buys maize and feed corn, soybeans and other chums in 5 gallon bulk pails.