SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

solopaddler

For anyone travelling off the grid in an isolated area it seems like it would be a fantastic product.

It allows you to send personal messages and call for help if need be at a fraction of the cost of a sat phone.

I'm considering grabbing one before heading up to Hudsons Bay next week and was wondering if anyone had any experience using them.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

I've had several discussions with the Spot guys and search and rescue seminars/trade shows.

The ones we where looking at (they where trying to sell us) could send pre set e-mails out to a list of people along with the GPS cords. So the people you have on your list can map out where you are.

They seem limited in what they can do. But the main good thing is the SOS button. If you need to be rescued, you just hit a button. That sends a signal to the Spot guys, who then determine the closest/best rescue team to call out, and do so immediately.

Edited by N.A.W

I've had several discussions with the Spot guys and search and rescue seminars/trade shows.

The ones we where looking at (they where trying to sell us) could send pre set e-mails out to a list of people at pre set intervals along your trip along with the GPS cords. So the people you have on your list can map out where you are.

They seem limited in what they can do. But the main good thing is the emergency/distress button. If you need to be rescued, you just hit a button. That sends a signal to the Spot guys, who then determine the closest/best rescue team to call out, and do so immediately.

Thanks Nick. Apparantly you can send a personal message too.

As long as it functions as advertised it seems like it would be cheap insurance.

From what I understand, the personal message feature is a set up from a computer before you leave home. It can not be changed once you are out. There are only a few buttons on the unit. No keyboard (on the ones I've seen) This was a few years ago, they may have changed things since.

Now if you could Text people using a Spot, that would be awesome..

$7000 for the rescue is negligible when you consider that the bear wants an arm and a leg. You guys play safe up there and have a super time.

Thanks Roy, we are like little kids at Xmas.. Talk about excited! Been waiting a long time for this trip.

From what I understand, the personal message feature is a set up from a computer before you leave home. It can not be changed once you are out. There are only a few buttons on the unit. No keyboard (on the ones I've seen) This was a few years ago, they may have changed things since.

Now if you could Text people using a Spot, that would be awesome..

You're right it's a preprogrammed message that includes your waypoint.

Something as simple as "everything's fine, having a great time" or "send help asap we're in trouble!" would cover all the bases for me.

You're right it's a preprogrammed message that includes your waypoint.

Something as simple as "everything's fine, having a great time" or "send help asap we're in trouble!" would cover all the bases for me.

or AAAAHHHH Bill's going ballistic with the 30.06.. HHHEEEELLLPPPPP :w00t:

The SPOTs work great, where you will be they will have no trouble connecting quickly.

It is a preprogrammed message if all is ok. That links to a Google Maps satellite shot. There is a subscription fee.

Be sure you instruct those at home about poor weather conditions at its ability to limit uplink for the SPOT. Also I find you have to set things up so those receiving the message know their roles, ie 1 designated SAR caller with an alternate. And setting up the amount of checkins to come and the number of missed checks before the call is placed. An SOS goes directly to SAR in Texas then they route the calls to CFB Trenton then the closest aircraft likely MNR out of Timmins or Peawanuk or Moose.

I really find setting the precedent of continuous communication on long remote trips somewhat troubling, since people at home worry and tend to want to make the call too soon. When in the bush there are any number of situations that arise to prevent the daily checkin...have to train those at home.

Good luck, be safe, take lots of pictures!

ps ditch the rifle and bring a shotgun!

or AAAAHHHH Bill's going ballistic with the 30.06.. HHHEEEELLLPPPPP :w00t:

:lol:

The SPOTs work great, where you will be they will have no trouble connecting quickly.

It is a preprogrammed message if all is ok. That links to a Google Maps satellite shot. There is a subscription fee.

Be sure you instruct those at home about poor weather conditions at its ability to limit uplink for the SPOT. Also I find you have to set things up so those receiving the message know their roles, ie 1 designated SAR caller with an alternate. And setting up the amount of checkins to come and the number of missed checks before the call is placed. An SOS goes directly to SAR in Texas then they route the calls to CFB Trenton then the closest aircraft likely MNR out of Timmins or Peawanuk or Moose.

I really find setting the precedent of continuous communication on long remote trips somewhat troubling, since people at home worry and tend to want to make the call too soon. When in the bush there are any number of situations that arise to prevent the daily checkin...have to train those at home.

Good luck, be safe, take lots of pictures!

ps ditch the rifle and bring a shotgun!

Thanks for the input Jay!

Which ever gun weighs less, that's the one I'm bringing, lol!

If you bring a shotgun make sure it's loaded with slugs and not birdshot. LOL!

Seems like a pretty good tool to me and are fairly inexpensive to purchase up front (cheap if you follow Roy's line of thinking :canadian: ), I've seen them quite deeply discounted at Crappy Tire in the last year or so as well. Someone else mentioned the subscription and that's where the cost does go up a bit.

Give Les Stroud a call and ask him..... :whistling:

Mike,

I own a SPOT device and what an amazing and reliable product it is. I subscribed to both the basic package (send OK messages, help messages, 911) and tracking package (it tracks my GPS point every 10 minutes (avg)). For loved ones at home, the tracking feature is amazing b/c they can see where you are on your journey. The tracking feature sets up a web link and when clicked, it takes you to the SPOT website where they launch a portal that's integrated with google maps that will display your GPS points.

You may see reviews online about OK messages NOT being sent, tracking is UNRELIABLE, etc... I have yet to experience any issues with my SPOT device as described online. I find that if you understand how GPS technology works, the need for a clear path to the sky to ensure a successful transmission (e.g., it's worked while I hiked through forests though), and follow the SPOT instructions - you will have a positive experience!

Some quick tips (which can also be found online)

1) Always send an OK message before turning on your tracking feature. This allows the satellite to get a fix on your location and the general area you will be traversing through.

2)If your wife has an iPHONE - there is an app (costs $2-3, but worth the money), that links the SPOT tracking webpage to google maps directly to her phone (the SPOT portal on a smartphone browser doesn't look clean). So while she's out and about and thinking about you - she can check in an instant, with one tap, where you're at ;)

Good luck with the product and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

-Sawyer

Edited by Sawyer

Mike,

I own a SPOT device and what an amazing and reliable product it is. I subscribed to both the basic package (send OK messages, help messages, 911) and tracking package (it tracks my GPS point every 10 minutes (avg)). For loved ones at home, the tracking feature is amazing b/c they can see where you are on your journey. The tracking feature sets up a web link and when clicked, it takes you to the SPOT website where they launch a portal that's integrated with google maps that will display your GPS points.

You may see reviews online about OK messages NOT being sent, tracking is UNRELIABLE, etc... I have yet to experience any issues with my SPOT device as described online. I find that if you understand how GPS technology works, the need for a clear path to the sky to ensure a successful transmission (e.g., it's worked while I hiked through forests though), and follow the SPOT instructions - you will have a positive experience!

Some quick tips (which can also be found online)

1) Always send an OK message before turning on your tracking feature. This allows the satellite to get a fix on your location and the general area you will be traversing through.

2)If your wife has an iPHONE - there is an app (costs $2-3, but worth the money), that links the SPOT tracking webpage to google maps directly to her phone (the SPOT portal on a smartphone browser doesn't look clean). So while she's out and about and thinking about you - she can check in an instant, with one tap, where you're at ;)

Good luck with the product and let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

-Sawyer

Wow thanks Walter!

Thanks Nick. Apparantly you can send a personal message too.

As long as it functions as advertised it seems like it would be cheap insurance.

Leave yet? Spot is for fun like google latitude plus a bit more. If youre looking at it for safety, get a real epirb/plb, theyve come down in price. Once registered, it's good worldwide. They also have homing transmitters to find you out in the field once rescuers are in the area where SPOT relies on its gps receiver to send its coordinates up however inaccurate they might be. Anyways, it's an alternative you should consider.