Suggestions for Lakers...

manitoubass2

K, my pops just called and it looks like were heading out for some laker fishing first thing tomorrow. We're going to esox, and its about 100-120 FOW. I have very, I mean very limited experience fishing for lakers, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would like to hear, in your experience, what types of baits/lures to use, possible structure and depths to fish etc. Should we drift, troll??? I'm totally at a loss here

My ten year old has numerous lakers, please help me catch up!!! BWAHAHAHA

We leave tomorrow at 5am so time to research is minimal.

Thank you ever so kindly for any help, it's always appreciated!

Rick

Edited by manitoubass2

I've only caught four lakers in my life, all this year, but through the ice. My experience won't likely help, but I got them on a 3-4" white tube jig with a shiner. I've got no idea if this would work vertical jigging from a boat in summer or not. I'll be watching your thread for ideas myself, as I'd like to catch some in soft-water too. :)

If you have a decent fish finder, try anchoring/drifting and jigging for them with a white tube or a real minnow when you mark them.

If you want to troll, try bottom bouncers or a 3-way rig and a small to medium Williams Wobbler or other similar spoon. It's not always necessary to dredge bottom for them - a lot of the time, the active fish are suspended just under the thermocline and are actively feeding on bait. You may be able to actually mark the thermocline on your finder and when you do, try to troll your presentation just below it to target these active fish.

Here's a bit more info on various tried and true techniques:

http://www.happydaylodge.com/laketrout.htm

Edited by wallacio

I'm no expert in the matter here manitou but will vouch for 3" white power tube... caught of few of them casting to shore and letting it slowly fall to bottom, drifting... if you can locate structure, flats and drop offs that's where I would start :thumbsup_anim: Good luck on your laker hunt :thumbsup_anim:

I troll for them - If you have downriggers, in 100 fow I run 1 ball at 90 and another between 75 and 50, depending on where the bait balls and active fish are. I like to be 5 - 15 foot above them. and between 75 and 150 foot back depending on how bright a day and how spooky they are. Gangtroller on the bottom one to attract the big lazy one's interest, and if you have one a glowspoon. The higher ball watermelon or any spoon with a copper back. troll between 1.5 and 3.1 switching up speeds randomly - lakers will often folllow for a long time and then hit. Find the humps on the bottom and circle, or follow and any ledge - the feeders will be there. This shot was up on Temagami. there was a hump that come up to 100 foot and dropped down to the 140 range. We passed over several shots like this (photo courtesy of a morining with Irishfield)

P1250361.jpg

good luck and look forward to your report.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas! I wish i was a little more specific. We dont have downriggers, so thats not an option. Remember im in NW Ontario, so these lakes are tiny in comparison to some of your Southern Ontario lakes. I have white tubes, some spoons (doubt i can get em too deep unless the trout are suspended, which i think will be the case). My pops guides on this lake occasionally and swears by 1/2 oz bucktail jigs. But its a father son fish off lol, so pride is at stake here and he has a huge advantage haha. Now the next question, im also underpowered in the rod department. I brought a 6'3" walleye rod(cause were hitting a walleye lake first). I brought a 6'6" med heavy with a stradic ci4 and a 7ft med with a okuma avenger 30a. Here is my mistake, i forgot to ask about prefered line, d'oh! Im already at my pops getting geared up, so i threw a bunch of lines in my bag and 4 spare spools, lol. I have 8 and 12 lb nanofil, 8lb and 20lb suffix 832, 8lb trilene xl, 12lb trilene xt, 20lb suffix mono and some 14lb fluoro. Any advice on what to run? Or is this a case of too little to late, chalk one up for ol pops? Hahaha. Thanks again ofc

Edited by manitoubass2

Run out and buy a size 0 Dipsy Diver and run it on your med heavy rod with your 20lb Suffix 832. Make up a 2 to 3 Ft 20lb mono leader to run from the Dipsy Diver to the spoon (hammered gold or silver if you have one). This set up works great this time of the year on the small trout lakes in our area.

Done, and thanks oldman. I fell horrible just typing that haha. If all else fails early and my ol man is putting fish in the boat, i might just have to eat me pride and use the bucktails. My stepmom jyst treaed us to a lovely meal, everything is packed and its time for a quick lollipop then bed. Best if luck to all of ya tomorrow and chat with ya soon!

wish i'd seen this earlier.....i would take heed of the straight jigging/fishfinder method. Very effective in my experience.

We got these a couple weeks back with the same gear i use for walleye....3/8 Oz jig and large minnow. Watch the screen for an arch.....hold your position...and depending on the conditions and your boat control skills most of the time you can watch the action in real time just like icefishing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ghtEjDqDXKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good luck out there....white tube jig........definitely :thumbsup_anim:

Well, since others with more experience have echoed the white tube jig suggestion, I'll encourage you to give it a shot before you switch to your dad's lure of choice. And here's why: I was fishing with a guy about twice my age and probably forty times the experience. When he asked what I was going to use, I told him, white tube jig, and he chuckled. "Good luck." And I pulled up three before he asked if he could try using one of my tubes. "I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks," he says. Yes, indeed.

Im officially hooked on laker fishing! Lol. We spent about 2 hours on one lake fishing walleye, then about 11 hours on lakers. Had two great shore lunches and landed a ton of fish. Only question now is can i get out 2 more times before the season closes???

Edited by manitoubass2

Im officially hooked on laker fishing! Lol. We spent about 2 hours on one lake fishing walleye, then about 11 hours on lakers. Had two great shore lunches and landed a ton of fish. Only question now is can i get out 2 more times before the season closes???

Good job! What did you end up catching on? Did you beat out your dad?

My pops used nothing but 2oz bucktails, orange/black/whiteand green he caught fish on. I caught fish on a 4" white tube with a 1.5oz weight tube hook, also on a white tube drop shotting, one on a bucktail and also a big white clackin rap. Ill check the size whwn i get home, and this was the funnest method for me. We caught active fish right at the 150 fow mark, all the way through the water column. We found alot of fish shallower but no takers anywhere from 40-120 fow. Seemed 150 was the key. Fish ranged from 2lbs to 12lbs

Don't go to this lake, it sucks sarcasm.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

My pops used nothing but 2oz bucktails, orange/black/whiteand green he caught fish on. I caught fish on a 4" white tube with a 1.5oz weight tube hook, also on a white tube drop shotting, one on a bucktail and also a big white clackin rap. Ill check the size whwn i get home, and this was the funnest method for me. We caught active fish right at the 150 fow mark, all the way through the water column. We found alot of fish shallower but no takers anywhere from 40-120 fow. Seemed 150 was the key. Fish ranged from 2lbs to 12lbs

Don't go to this lake, it sucks sarcasm.gif

Great job Manitou :thumbsup_anim: Glad it all turned out great for ya B) Sounds like a riot reeling these beauties from the deep B)

thanks guys, it truly was a blast! We also had a giant musky following us, which was awesome to see in the gin clear water! He was close to 50 for sure. We took a short break, and drifted just off our laker spot, in between two islands. In about 20 FOW, I could see my lure and ever twitch at bottom. Schools of smallmouth followed and bit on every cast. They were the smallest bass I've ever seen, but it sure was cool to be able to see everything in action! The musky followed my minnow pattern 5" Flat rap on a few occasions, then again on a Livetarget perch crank. Wish he woulda hit though!

First spot of the day was also weird for me. Another lake, for walleye, again in super clear water. I watched walleye in 13 FOW, darting in and out of weedbeds, striking baits, or coming in to inspect. I'm just really used to dingy/dirty water, so this trip, all around was super fun for me.

Next time I'll be better prepared. Fluoro leaders were a must. Just couldn't feel or react fast enough with mono. Once I switched over on advice from pops, I was doing alot better.

Lakers strike hard man, and you had one chance at a hookset or it was gone till the next one. You have to be really focused too.

Like I said, I just gotta figure out how to get out again once or twice before the season ends.

Good to have read this to the bottom. Was about to give suggestions but by the sounds of it, I should be taking them instead.

Good show dood!

Dood, I still have a ton to learn! Offer up, I'm all ears.

I'm not even sure what good laker conditions are? But for that day... We had light rain the evening before. Was mainly cloudy and calm almost all day, with brief slight winds occasionally. We drifted the shoreline between .4 and .8. Bottom was flat with two 40ft ledges running along side of it. Surface temps between 71 and 73.