best brand of hook to use

Ken42420

I would like a little advise

what is the best brand and size of hook to use---walleye, trout,

I use a bigger hook for large fish and a #2 for catfish but I would like to use one brand and size for trout and walleye---like a mustad #6 ?????/

Thanks for the help

I would like a little advise

what is the best brand and size of hook to use---walleye, trout,

I use a bigger hook for large fish and a #2 for catfish but I would like to use one brand and size for trout and walleye---like a mustad #6 ?????/

Thanks for the help

What trout are you asking about, creek trout, lakers, steelhead, browns?

For walleye fishing, I mostly troll with worm harnesses in the summer, and use #4 VMC's to make my harnesses.

For steelhead, Daichi or Gamakatsu, #6 & 8. Have used # 10, but prefer 8's.

Lakers in winter, I use a #4 treble, usually gamakatsu, #6 for walleye and brook trout.

Im partial to the eagle claw wide gap hooks. Laser sharp. I don't like hooks with offset eyes, I find they pull out a lot of times.

The Diiachi's are a good hook too, but the small hooks have a tiny hole in the eye.....just makes it hard to get your line thru when its cold out and your hands are frozen.....but they are a great hook. Nice and light, the minnows can really move around with them.

Match your hook to your bait size. For med. minnows I use a #12 eagle claw, same for trout, but depending on clarity, might need #14's. For small pinhead minnows, I use the #14's. If your using bigger bait, bigger hooks. I fished the whole winter this season with #14 hooks on 4 lb test for everything from perch to simcoe whities/lakers with no probs.........have been for years.

Sinker

I used to use eagle claw - now I go for Mustad usaully.

I also like VMC and gamagatsu

REcently I have used VMCs since that have great trble with a single hok that stick out beyond the other two

cutomspinner03thumb.jpg

GAMAKATSU!! Best hooks ever. I have them for every kind of fish from trout to catfish. They are defitnatley well worth the money. I would never use Mustad hooks. One time while catfishing I had a little bullhead and when I got the plyers out to get the hook out the hook just broke in half. And I have never used them again. You will defitnatley not be disapointed in Gamakatsu hooks.