Ethanol could go to 15%

Billy Bob

I'm with "Pylon". Burn premium and synthetic oil only in my 1999 - 30hp Johnson. Also use that same straight gas in our three burner Coleman stove. I hope they keep that corn crap out of the higher octane fuels.

My understanding is that PetroCan uses ethanol as an octane booster in its Ultra 94 gas-----the bums!

It is particularly disturbing given the drought in the US has pushed corn prices to record highs around the world. Ethanol is not as ecologically friendly as some people like to believe, and it's economic viability is questionable at best, espcially with today's corn prices.

Edited by Andy

I agree with your concerns andy - the ethanol yield from corn is likely the worst of any other organic choice, soy, hemp, whatever, and to use such a valuable commodity as corn that has other uses rather than fuel additive say, feeding people, is a concern.

it also takes something like 5 gallons of fresh potable water to make a gallon of ethanol, its not something we want to throw away either.

all this to provide an additive to gasoline that reduces its effectiveness..yikes.

i dont know if the masses (aka me) are uninformed but it appears the product has little value but can cause global problems.

The oil companies esp the refiners like it because they are producing 83 or 84 octane gas and are using the ethanol to boost the octane to 87. They don't need to refine the gas as much to achieve the same octane #'s. Ethanol has the equivalent octane of 113.

Edited by bigbuck