Sandbanks

fisher

We are thinking of heading to Sandbanks one day this weekend but never been there before and do not know where to go (I hear there are different areas).

I have 2 young children (9 and 5), and want to spoend the day there and preferably in an area where we can grab something to eat and be able to swim. Any suggestions where to go and what to expect?

Thanks

Edited by fisher

If your closer to the west end of the city I do recommend port Dover. Lovely shallow water beach for small children and such a neat little town. We've been taking our kids there for day trips for years. We were there on Thursday and had a great time

Port Dover an Sandbanks are separated by about 300km......

I would entertain the possibility of Cobourg... fantastic Beach and a very cool little town with tons to see and do.... all within a minutes walk, great dining an shopping

Have fun!

G

On the east lake section of the sandbanks there is a snack bar in the middle of the parking area. The beach itself is great for small kids, very shallow going out with intermittent sand bars. Not too sure about the west lake side for snacks. This is where the giant dunes are and is deeper.

If you do go, check out the bridge going over the river in the park, you can see the bowfin swimming around as well as some decent sized largemouth.