What are you using to target pike hiding in the deeper waters?

Greetings all,

so today i had a full day on the water with a few buddies up at Lake Dalrymple. I normally fish bass at my cottage in Haliburton, so when i go to Dalrymple we always want to pull pike. I have been to the lake a couple times this year... literally as pike and bass opened and had some good spots nailed down..largely in part to some good feedback on this board. Today was supposed to be all about pulling pike again, in the past this season I have had great luck pulling some good sized pike from this lake.

This weekend, as happens so often; the lake had totally changed. The water was way down, previous hot spots were out of the water and could not be fished and the pike (with all this heat) were simply not in the shallows(of course). So we were fishing deeper water, weed beds in 8-12ft of water, which for Dalrymple is pretty deep. Managed to yank a few small pike, but very little action on the pike side of things overall. Now, understanding of course that nothing is absolute and every lake is different, I am curious to know what everyone is using/likes to use to target pike sitting in deep water for these sorts of conditions? Or what the consensus is on the best means of finding where these guys go when the water is so hot. The highly recommended "husky jerk" lures we brought were a total bust today, deep and shallow. As usual, thanks everyone..

HFP

I'm old school and when it comes to pike and especially in a pressured area, I'll use anything shiny. The best thing you can use is something like a Toronto wobbler. It's an easy bait to use and once you've found their depth, you can then switch to whatever you like.....if it moves, it's food.

"Key" spots are only a guideline

Use your electronics---locate the food source(concentrations of baitfish)you'll usually find preds nearby

spots are where you find this scenario--could be deep/shallow/suspended

Your then choice of lure will be what is able to blow by their nose

Sounds like i may need some heavier spinners..thanks guys.

"Key" spots are only a guideline

Use your electronics---locate the food source(concentrations of baitfish)you'll usually find preds nearby

spots are where you find this scenario--could be deep/shallow/suspended

Your then choice of lure will be what is able to blow by their nose

Sounds like i may need some heavier spinners..thanks guys.

Unfortunately I've caught many gators in my life in the 15+ range

I say unfortunately as I look at them as a pain when I'm fishin bass/walleye

Biggest one I've ever had beside the boat was about 9-10 years ago----absolute monster----fall fishin Eyes---caught on 1/4 oz jig and worm---had to push 30lbs

He was in there gobblin up these nuisance rock bass that were set up on a rock ledge---baitfish---key

Funny you mentioned the paddle tails on the way home this was what we were talking about getting to try and get deep while doing so weedless. Looks like another trip to Sail..

Lovin' the paddle tails with xtra-strong jigs lately.

This one is 1/4oz, but 1/2oz would get you even deeper if jigging in the wind.

IMG-20120729-00415.jpg

Hilarious, one mans trash is another mans treasure. I having been pulling 5lbs + bass all season, pretty much every week..no problems. Now when I'm fishing pike.. the bass are getting in the way.. :) While stalking pike yesterday, I yanked a 5.7 pound large mouth.

Biggest one I've ever had beside the boat was about 9-10 years ago----absolute monster----fall fishin Eyes---caught on 1/4 oz jig and worm---had to push 30lbs

He was in there gobblin up these nuisance rock bass that were set up on a rock ledge---baitfish---key

Goodness, a pain? I'd trade a whole boatload of smallmouth or walleye for a 15+ pike, let alone a 30 pounder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd go the with spinner suggestion, slow, like a couple guys said, along the weed edge. Red and White combination is always good, or a yellow/green one. On days I want to spin it slow, I use those with a round, Colorado blade, instead of a long and narrow spinner blade. The round ones tend to go slower and add more thump to the bait as you reel it in, sinking it a bit deeper and putting it right in front of the big guys' noses.

I'm also partial to casting heavy spoons when I'm trying to get deeper, ones with a natural wobble that you don't have to reel too fast for them to look good. Try a Little Cleo, silver spoon. I've had more success with that type than just about any other lure.

Edited by yankeepiker

It's a trade off between blade styles.

Colorado will spin and generate a lot more vibration at slow speeds, but they cause a lot of lift, which hurts your ability to fish deep.

Willow blades produce less lift and let you stay deeper, but require more speed for consistent blade spin.

Best of both worlds - heavy bait with Indiana blades.

Indiana blades?,Do tell!!,never heard of them.

Edited by davey buoy

Try swimbaits and paddle tails on 1/2oz to 1oz jigs depending on depth. Weighted hooks will also work for weedier areas. Carolina rig a lizard will work well too. And an old school method that still works is a 4 to 5 inch grub (chanteuse or white my favorite) on a heavy jig.

I fished 15 to 20' on G-Pool all day Sunday and got skunked on pike :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Tried all of the above exept for a Williams wobler. Nada. 8 bass though.

Edited by N.A.W

Gotta find those weed edges, GPool is littered with pike.

That's the funny thing. I fished there 2 weeks ago. Weed edges, 15'. Caught 5 pike in an hour and half.

This week, fished the exact same weed beds. Nothing. One big follow turned away boat side.

We did see some massive snapping turtles.