Fishing Bala, Ontario (Muskoka) need some advice

redpearl99

So my sister's boyfriend has invited me and my GF up to his cottage on Bala Bay next week and I hope to get as much fishing out of it as possible. The good thing is that he has a motor boat I can use and I now have my own boating licenses. The problem is that I've always been a shore fisherman and don't really know what to do when I get out with the boat. the Second issue is that Bala and Muskoka apparently have lots of walleye and smallmouth bass, But iv'e never caught either of these fish before. My local lakes have only held largemouth, pike, carp and some salmon. I know from reading previous threads that I'm suppose to look for rock hump and drop offs in the water, but without a fish/depth finder I don't know how I will be able to do this.

So can someone please tell me where I can find maps showing the depth of the waters in bala and lake muskoka?

Also, I would appreciate if someone with some experience in that area could give me a couple pointers so I dont waste my time reinventing the wheel

Thanks

Any of the marinas will have a chart with depths on it with shoals. Look for marker bouys and rock points off islands and fish the drop offs around them. Have caught many walleye off of them. I don't fish bala bay area so I can't help you in that part of the lake.

thanks for the tip, another question is, seeing as how I've never caught a walleye and this will only be my girlfriends 2nd time fishing. would it be a good idea to set her up with a pickerel rig with 2 minnows and get her to toss it over the boat and wait not too far from shore? I'm going to try and get some pike and smallmouth on lures but I dont think she's practised casting enough for an entire day of lure fishing

I would work any deeper shorelines and points....get your lures down past the 10 foot mark as the water is sure to be pretty warm. A steep rockface on shore usually translates to deep water. The pickerel rig is a great idea....if the action is slow, swap out for worms to at least pick up the small bass and panfish for some action.

If you can get out early, fish should be more active in shallow....and if you can get out on a calm night...a slow retrieve with a surface lure is pretty deadly on those Lake Muskoka smallies.

Almost any water along the shoreline will cough up a few smallies.

Find points and humps, throw spooks, jerkbaits, and dropshots. If these fail, try a wacky rig. Even my mom can catch smallies with a 4" wacky rig.

what should I do if I don't have a trolling motor? should I just go to different points and throw an anchor overboard and fish that spot for a while?

Drift around fish a bunch of different spots. I wouldn't throw the anchor unless you're on a hot spot.

ok guys, so Im here on bala and im having some difficulty targeting the pike and smallies. I've caught about 30 rockbass, but having gotten a single smallie or pike. I don't know what to do. this entire lake seems to be filled with rock flats, I can't find any weedy areas. can anyone help? thanks

when is the prime time to fish for these smallies? I actually caught 2 today, but they were very small. would it be better to use a popper or a buzzer bait?

Morning/evening on big rock flats with topwaters would be the ticket.