What is the best 2pc rod for all around use??

I use a 6'-6" ugly stick medium, that cost about 50 bucks for a ton of bass and pike fishing.

I'm an Ugly Stik devotee. Mainly because I just can't afford the top-of-the-line stuff. whistling.gif

But also, since I got my first one over fifteen years ago, I have never had one fail on me - not once. I currently own two, a 7' ML spinning rod for general fishing and an 8'6" salmon rod that I have yet to use in Ontario (bought it when I was in BC and Alaska). I've had big salmon nearly tie a knot in the latter one but so far, nothing has managed to damage it in the slightest. IMO, you can't beat these rods for the price, and even if the unthinkable happens and one does break, you're not out a lot of money and it's easily replaced. So far though, I haven't had to replace one yet (other than my first one, which was stolen, and is probably still being used by someone somewhere). wallbash.gif

Abu built its business on reels, not rods

Rapala built its business on baits, not rods

St.Croix built its business on rods, not reels or baits

Shimano is the one company that can built derailleurs, rods, reels, etc

take it for what it's worth.

Sure, you can save money on an Ugly Stick (or buy 3 of them), but the lack of sensitivity is like driving with a blindfold.

uglystik.png

Relatively cheap rod, but I love my Shimano Voltaeus.... Some guys don't like them, but no matter what rod you chose, you'll find folks that don't like them. My 2 cents....

I'm with you.

Sadly, I used to think Ugly Stiks were good, but only because I was ignorant and inexperienced. That changed when I got a Voltaeus. That really is a pretty good rod. WAY more sensitive, I can cast further with a shorter rod, and pretty hardy. If you don't want to spend your full budget on a rod, and want one that is built specifically to be durable, my vote is for the Voltaeus. I've used my 6'6" MH for everything from 8.5" brook trout, up through bass and walleye, up to my 34" pike and it's been good all around. It's still a little heavy, but nowhere near as bad as my Ugly Stik was.

Even my cheap 5' UL Shimano Sojurns are pretty good, considering the $20 price tag. I've caught brookies up to 16" on them and I have no complaints. I have no idea about durability though. That's why I got two. And for my birthday this year I picked up a 6' ML Bob Izumi rod which I intend to use for trout and walleye. I haven't used it enough yet to say how much I like it, but it looked quite nice, I like the split cork handle, and I had read pretty favorable reviews of it.

I don't think you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a rod to catch a fish, but if I were going high-end, I'd look at G Loomis and St. Croix, though I suspect I'd still walk away with a Shimano. I just have nothing bad to say about them. Yet. I don't see myself ever going with such a crazy expensive rod though, just because no matter how careful I am, accidents happen and I'd be crushed to lose such a pricey rod. And it always seems the more pricey something is, the more chance there is I'll make a mistake and break it.

Edit:

Just a suggestion - why don't you ask Spiel what he could do in that price range?

THIS! But I'd be afraid to use it.. Very pretty work that would probably go on my wall instead of in my boat.

Edited by Dana

Just a suggestion - why don't you ask Spiel what he could do in that price range?

THIS! But I'd be afraid to use it.. Very pretty work that would probably go on my wall instead of in my boat.

Thanks for the nod guys. :)

Building on a Rainshadow RX7 (7') with custom cork grip and Fuji components I could likely bring it in for $200.00 to $225.00.

If that's of any interest to you HFP, shoot me a PM.

I've used Ugly Stix and other lower priced rods all through my childhood and early teens and caught boat loads of fish on them. But I didn't know any different back then. The technique specific rods these days are awesome but I till believe that there's no need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a rod. I'm a middle of the road kinda guy when it comes to buying gear. I take 6 rods out with me on the boat when I fish.

1 - 7' verdict w/Abu Revo STX

2 - 6'9" Diawa Ballistic w/quantum pt energy burner

3 - 7' 2" Crucial w/quantum smoke 150 (my most expensive combo at around $400....Fathers day gift)

4 - 7' St. Croix eyecon w/shimano sahara

5 - 7' BP Carbonlite w/quantum pt energy burner

6 - 6' 6" Rapala TS2 w/quantum enery pti 20

This is all I need. I've got 6lb largies out of the slop, 15lbs 'ski from the skinny water, walters, crappie, whitefish, lakers on these combos. What i'm trying to say is that you dont need to spend $400 on just a rod. If I was to recommend one rod in the price range that you have it would probably be the Crucial. I'm also very happy with the Diawa Ballistic ($100) as well. Both of these rods can be found at Cdn Tire now. If anything, spend the $$$ on a good reel. 75% of my reels were found on Kijiji. There are some great deals to be found there.

Cheers and good luck.

Colin

...and by the way, I'd also be scared to use one of Spiel creations!! They look like awesome works of art!!!!

Edited by ckrb2007

The more I hear and read, the more St Croix or possibly a custom rod sounds like the way to go. That point earlier about how each company was built was a good one.. as for the budget for the rod, I have no issue spending the full $200 or more even if what I am getting is top quality. Before this break of the veritas, I had never broken a rod ever.. so would like to have something that will last even 3-5 years. Who knew buying a rod could get so complicated.?

uglystik.png

I'm with you.

Sadly, I used to think Ugly Stiks were good, but only because I was ignorant and inexperienced. That changed when I got a Voltaeus. That really is a pretty good rod. WAY more sensitive, I can cast further with a shorter rod, and pretty hardy. If you don't want to spend your full budget on a rod, and want one that is built specifically to be durable, my vote is for the Voltaeus. I've used my 6'6" MH for everything from 8.5" brook trout, up through bass and walleye, up to my 34" pike and it's been good all around. It's still a little heavy, but nowhere near as bad as my Ugly Stik was.

Even my cheap 5' UL Shimano Sojurns are pretty good, considering the $20 price tag. I've caught brookies up to 16" on them and I have no complaints. I have no idea about durability though. That's why I got two. And for my birthday this year I picked up a 6' ML Bob Izumi rod which I intend to use for trout and walleye. I haven't used it enough yet to say how much I like it, but it looked quite nice, I like the split cork handle, and I had read pretty favorable reviews of it.

I don't think you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a rod to catch a fish, but if I were going high-end, I'd look at G Loomis and St. Croix, though I suspect I'd still walk away with a Shimano. I just have nothing bad to say about them. Yet. I don't see myself ever going with such a crazy expensive rod though, just because no matter how careful I am, accidents happen and I'd be crushed to lose such a pricey rod. And it always seems the more pricey something is, the more chance there is I'll make a mistake and break it.

Edit:

Well gentlemen... looks like I have worked something out. Had a good talk with Spiel and I am having a rod built. In the mean time I am going to grab a nice St. Croix either Avid or Premier to carry me over until then. All the support was greatly appreicated.

Well gentlemen... looks like I have worked something out. Had a good talk with Spiel and I am having a rod built. In the mean time I am going to grab a nice St. Croix either Avid or Premier to carry me over until then. All the support was greatly appreicated.

Nice chatting with you Sir, blank is ordered and we'll definitely be talking. ;)

And PM received. thumbsup_anim.gif

Rest assured guys, I will drop a bunch of feedback and pics once I get it.

I for one can tell you,Chris made my new float rod(first custom from him). When I told the wife the price,she couldnt believe it,but knew, I knew,I was getting something special. When I picked it up,the smile on my face said it all.Then she understood.Looking forward to the pics and feed back.

Bought a St Croix Premier as the "stop gap" rod from Sail for this weekend. Man is this thing nice. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better than the Abu Veritas..no comparison. Was 12hours on the water today at lake dalrymple with it, effortless. Great day.. landed a 6lb( 5.72lbs actually) large mouth that fought it's ass off..was so tangled in the weeds..still got him. Also, got several pike. Rod was very impressive..so sensitive and casts much further even though they were the same length and action. Can not wait for the Spiel set up considering it will be even better..

you won't be disappointed with Spiel's work, that's for sure

if you're near bass pro check on the bps rods, carbon lite (not with micro guides) or the jonny morris series, great rods and good price

Bought a St Croix Premier as the "stop gap" rod from Sail for this weekend. Man is this thing nice. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better than the Abu Veritas..no comparison. Was 12hours on the water today at lake dalrymple with it, effortless. Great day.. landed a 6lb( 5.72lbs actually) large mouth that fought it's ass off..was so tangled in the weeds..still got him. Also, got several pike. Rod was very impressive..so sensitive and casts much further even though they were the same length and action. Can not wait for the Spiel set up considering it will be even better..

Checkout the Fenwick Elite Tech smallmouth Rods. Awesome rod for the money, nicer than st. Croix or gl2 in the sub $200 range.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I said I would post some pics and feedback after some solid use of my newly acquired Spiel rod. So here it is..

I mentioned previously..while I was waiting for the Spiel rod, I bought a St. Croix Premier. During the time between that purchase and the completion of my custom rod I fished quite a bit and simply fell in love with the St. Croix, light, super sensitive..does everything well, best rod I had ever used. Until my Spiel rod showed up. I would not consider myself an easy customer to please from an expectations prespective, so when people mentioned the insanely high quality of his product numerous times and I heard all these promises about performance, I took it with a large grain of salt.. I was just not sure it would be that much better than the St. Croix. I spent 13 straight hours on the boat saturday fishing pike and bass using every manner of bait and lures with my new custom rod and I will simply NEVER buy a pre-built rod again. The Spiel custom rod changes everything. All the esthetics aside, this rod is considerably lighter..easily 25% than the st. Croix, it is easily twice as sensitive..I can feel every paddle tail flip and jig tail swirl, every weed my lures bump and casts waaaaay nicer. Your hands and wrist never get tired..I could have fished another 3 hours easily. It takes fishing to whole new level. I had my premier with me on another pfluger reel, as I usually bring two rods fishing, by the end of the day I was not even bothering to use it. This rod makes my St. Croix feel like I am fishing with an Ugly stick. I have several more large days of fishing coming up.. so if anything changes I will be sure to report it back here. My advice to anyone with a new rod in mind is spend the extra money and get the quality piece from Spiel..worth every penny.

HFP

Chris 1.jpg

Chris 2.jpg

Hard to go wrong with a St Croix Avid in that price range. Lifetime warranty to boot.

x2

I have a medium action 7' St. Croix Avid that I use as a good generalist. If you pair that rod with a 6' or 5'6" ultralight then you have a good spectrum covered.

I think all of my rods but one are St. Croix and I really find the sensitivity to be much greater than many others I have tried.