filet knife

rob v

I used to pay over $100.00 for filleting knives. that is until I bought a Rapala Electric Knife. If I have more than 2 fish(any species) to fillet I take out the electric. It takes a few fish to get used to.

But if you want to go manual I relly like the black rubber handled knife by Rapala.

I used to pay over $100.00 for filleting knives. that is until I bought a Rapala Electric Knife. If I have more than 2 fish(any species) to fillet I take out the electric. It takes a few fish to get used to.

But if you want to go manual I relly like the black rubber handled knife by Rapala.

I find knives like a lot of other pieces of equipment are a matter of personal preference. Over the years I have accumulated several knives in various sizes, mostly Rapala brand, the trusty old 6 birch handle thats about 30 years old and still going, a small 4 inch birch handle and a 7.5 inch newer rubber handled version are my faves. I have a couple presentation grade ones I am saving for gifts since they are still in the packages. I plan to get a 9 inch rubber handle Rapala as soon as I find one on sale to round out the group. I like to have all 3 available if I have a lot of fish to clean. The larger knife is great for the main cutting work on mid size fish while the small knife gives me better control for deboning and working on smaller fish.

I find Rapalas are a decent blade for the price and will last with proper care. I also find them to be the right level of stiffness for me personally and how I fillet fish. There are some beauty knives out there but I find the custom blades I have sampled to be far too fine and flexible for my taste. Personally, I opt for a stiffer versus more flexible blade. But that's my preference. I'd buy an expensive custom blade if I ever find one thats the right stiffness for me. The rubber handled rapala I got last year is my favourite right now since the rubber handle gives a more secure grip than the birch. The wood can get slippery if you are cleaning a lot of fish or your hands get wet or slimy and the knife does not have a good hilt (blade guard). I have not had any accidents but I did see one fellow who was using the old birch handle model and his hand slipped and cut every tendon in his hand, ouch...

Hope whatever you choose gets lots of use!

I have about half dozen of the birch handled Rapala fillet knives....I prefer the 4" model for filleting and I use a 6" for skinning...errrr....I should say my wife uses a 6" knife for skinning....LOL...but true...

When my knife looks like this I replace it....have the old ones all over for odd jobs...even have on hanging on my console of my my boat for quick access....

Filletknifes004.jpg

Filletknifes004.jpg

Years ago my uncle decided it was time to put a new edge on a fillet knife. It went to this "knife guru" who was highly recommended. The knife left the cottage looking like the knife on the bottom and came back a week later looking like the one on the top. Last time that guy got a knife from my uncle.

I sharpen my own and I'm competent (meaning I can still count to 10 with-out taking off my socks :w00t: ). The right tools and a little practice, with your buddy's knife, and it is not hard to keep a good edge on a knife… as long as you treat it right before and after each use.

The one of the top was years old and probably filleted a thousand crappie and that's not counting perch and walleyes.....they do after a while wear down....but I know what you mean if someone doesn't know how to sharpen a fillet knife.... :wallbash:

For years I used Rapala wooden handles and other knives and was pleased with them all. Then I was fishing the gulf coast with a guide who used an electric filet knife. I soon bought an electric knife and have never used my old standbys since. I thought I was pretty quick with my old knives but I'm much faster with the electric and do a better job. The only problem I have had is not paying attention and cutting through the backbone which is a little time consuming to get your self inflected issue worked out.

I have heard that the motors burn out but I have not had that problem and my electric is at least 20 years old.

Filletknifes004.jpg

These remind me of the knives my bro-in-law and I saw on sale for a dollar each in a tackle store on the west side of the inland waterway in Daytona Fla...We had a bunch of whiting and a couple of black drum to clean that we caught off the pier...They worked great...

Speaking of filleting fish, Crappieperchhunter is the best hands down !!!...I would defy you to find a bone...He now uses an electric knife...took a bit of practice at first but he mastered it...thumbsup_anim.gif

There are lots of good fillet knives other than Rapalas. I use just about any knife for filleting brook trout to cod. I often use a Henckels butcher knife and it does fine. Yes, I still have 2 different sized Rapalas but the smaller one that I use on brook trout is getting quite thin from being sharpened so often over the past 25 years.

My next buy will be something a bit better.....probably a Henckel's.

There are lots of good fillet knives other than Rapalas. I use just about any knife for filleting brook trout to cod. I often use a Henckels butcher knife and it does fine. Yes, I still have 2 different sized Rapalas but the smaller one that I use on brook trout is getting quite thin from being sharpened so often over the past 25 years.

My next buy will be something a bit better.....probably a Henckel's.

Over 25 years I have probably had to buy at LEAST 4 - 5 fillet knifes.... :whistling:

I have 2 Rapala birch handle 6" blades and one Rapala black composite handle (CT has them on sale for $9.99 as we speak. The steel on them all is decent and takes a good edge if you know how to sharpen them and keep them sharp. I use a carbide "V" sharpener once in a while but a steel is the key. Learn how to use a steel and use it to keep an edge on your knives. A $100 knife is not necessary......