Tubes

krixxer

Lest few week I had a chance to hit Erie and Simcoe in search of some bronze.

This was one of the my first times using tubes. They would not hit the green but he champagne produced quite well. My friend threw the tackle box at them but I still managed to outfish him 5:1. Nothing as spectacular as the stuff you guys post but still a great day of fishing for me with 33 SM/LM landed.

Back to the tubes; how do you fish them? is there a wrong way? what type of set up have you found works well for you.

thanx for the advice

Edited by krixxer

33 fish was the combined total after 10 hours on the water.

I ask about technique as I spent all day twitching, dragging, popin' and it all seemed to work....( was it just my luck that day)

One fish hooked itself when I was eating a sandwich with the rod just dangling off the side of the boat, the tube was a foot underwater inches away from the boat.

theres no real wrong way to fish them. easiest way is a weighted tube head jig, and drag it on bottom, just let the bait slide along, idiot proof. can also fish it on a drop shot, either tesax rigged or nose hooked. u can texas rig it with a heavy weight and flip it, or punch mats and think weeds, can also texas rig it weightless and skip under docks or trees, fish it as a top water over pads, or fish it like a soft jerkbait and twitch it

33 fish was the combined total after 10 hours on the water.

I ask about technique as I spent all day twitching, dragging, popin' and it all seemed to work....( was it just my luck that day)

One fish hooked itself when I was eating a sandwich with the rod just dangling off the side of the boat, the tube was a foot underwater inches away from the boat.

I agree with Roy...33 fish is a good/great day, ten hours on the water or not! Whatever you were doing, repeat the technique next time you are out. Suicidal fish or not, your methods definitely produced.

:thumbsup_anim: I fish alot of tubes and I tend to stick with dark blue or pumpkin seed. I rig them with a bell sinker pushed inside and captured with a Eagle Claw Shaw Grigsby HP Hook here's the link

http://www.tacklewar...page-ECHPT.html

if using this hook always use braid and check often, this setup tends to cut none braid really fast. I always direct tie using palomer knot, just don't like the swivels going thru my guides. This time of year i fish the smaller tubes and slowly bounce them thru deeper weed beds if you can find them.

Lest few week I had a chance to hit Erie and Simcoe in search of some bronze.

This was one of the my first times using tubes. They would not hit the green but he champagne produced quite well. My friend threw the tackle box at them but I still managed to outfish him 5:1. Nothing as spectacular as the stuff you guys post but still a great day of fishing for me with 33 SM/LM landed.

Back to the tubes; how do you fish them? is there a wrong way? what type of set up have you found works well for you.

thanx for the advice

Edited by uglybug

thumbsup_anim.gif I fish alot of tubes and I tend to stick with dark blue or pumpkin seed. I rig them with a bell sinker pushed inside and captured with a Eagle Claw Shaw Grigsby HP Hook here's the link

http://www.tacklewar...page-ECHPT.html

if using this hook always use braid and check often, this setup tends to cut none braid really fast. I always direct tie using palomer knot, just don't like the swivels going thru my guides. This time of year i fish the smaller tubes and slowly bounce them thru deeper weed beds if you can find them.

You will have to show me that when we do Muskrat Bro.Gonefishing.gif

I prefer a tube jig with a 60 degree eye versus the regular 90 degree eye. Better action and less line twist.I buy them from my local bass shop who makes them using Gammy hooks. 1/16 to 1/4 oz sizes covers most applications for me. Some times I cast an pop em and other times I cast and drag slowly, or just cast and slightly shake them. You have to figure out what action the fish prefer. As for colours my favorites are watermelon, pumpkinseed and shad colours. For flippin tubes my favorite colour is black with blue fleck or watermellon.Black and blue 5 inch flipping tube rigged weedless with a 5/0 EWG gammy weightless is my big fish bait when the largies are in shallow water with thick cover.

About the only requirement with a tube is hit water! After that things work out. Redwing Tackle Phantom has internal weight system that is adjustable in weight and comes with hooks.

It's a good point more swim, less swim you can move your internal jig back and get more swim. Bass Magnet has tube jig head Flathead Goby that bumps out the sides to create a gopy appearance that helps with swim.

Just ball head jigs for deep dragging you want to get the tube down with the lease amount of line out.

I prefer a tube jig with a 60 degree eye versus the regular 90 degree eye. Better action and less line twist.I buy them from my local bass shop who makes them using Gammy hooks. 1/16 to 1/4 oz sizes covers most applications for me. Some times I cast an pop em and other times I cast and drag slowly, or just cast and slightly shake them. You have to figure out what action the fish prefer. As for colours my favorites are watermelon, pumpkinseed and shad colours. For flippin tubes my favorite colour is black with blue fleck or watermellon.Black and blue 5 inch flipping tube rigged weedless with a 5/0 EWG gammy weightless is my big fish bait when the largies are in shallow water with thick cover.

Thanks for the reminder to pick up more 60 deg heads. I find that they pick up much less weeds and Lake Erie slime.