New reels ... cleaning and initial tune up.

Lunker777

I just picked up another Saros reel, and I was curious what you guys do as an initial tear down/ cleaning of the packing grease and what not.

This saros feels a little "stiff" compared to the others. Not in a bad way... I just think if I give it a good cleaning and rid it of any thick grease, it might get a bit smoother. I have "hot sauce" to lube it with after wards.

Shimano reels have the "maintenance port" .... what good is that ? Would it be good enough to just give a bit of lube in there from time to time ? or should I break the reel right down and give it a proper cleaning ?

Thanks

It doesn't need to be "fixed" .... But shipping grease is NOT optimal for performance.

Its not stiff in the sense that its not working properly, its just not as smooth as my "picky" personality would like it haha

If you're not shy about taking spinning reels apart I suggest cleaning out all the grease and flush the bearings with lighter fluid. Re-lube gearing with grease and a couple drops of oil in each bearing.

Shoot Ah-long a PM...guy seems very skilled in taking apart and tuning reels. He has a bunch of vids on youtube as well. From what I've seen and heard Shimano always seems to over grease their reels so if they dont seem as smooth as they should thats probably the problem.