Algonquin Camping

bobowski

I had a few days off last week so i decided to go camping in Algonquin park for a few days with the girlfriend. I decided to camp at one of the paddle to sites on Canisbay Lake. I did bring a rod with me but I wasn't planning on fishing very much. It was more of a chance for me to get away with the gf for a few nights of peace and relaxation. We arrived around 1pm and the canoe was in the water and we were ready to go by about 1:30pm. The water was a little bit rough so we stuck to the shoreline and stopped at the second campsite that we saw. It was not the best campsite but it would have to do for the night. I collected some wood and we got camp set up. After a few hours I got dinner started.

P6260320.jpg

P6260318.jpg

After a nice dinner we relaxed on the bank as the sun went down.

P6260327.jpg

The next morning we decided to pack up and move on to a better camp site that we could see on the opposite side of the lake that was in a secluded bay. We paddle up to it and it was a very nice camp site with a sand beach area. Upon arrive we set up camp and I hung the food pack and wandered around the site looking for wood. I noticed a lot of piles of Moose poop.

P6270349.jpg

We hung out for a bit and then I started to get lunch going. While I was making lunch Heard something off in the bushes so I took a look and to my surprise there was a moose eating some leaves about 100 feet away.

P6270335.jpg

It was amazing how such a big animal could be so quiet and graceful. Soon after the moose disapeared into the forest. It was awesome to see a moose so close in the wild. I was happy to have seen a moose and was not expecting to see anymore moose for the trip. About 20 minutes went by and we were eating lunch. All of a sudden we heard some splashing in the water so I walked to the edge of the water to see where the sound was coming from. It turns out that the same moose was trying to walk through our camp site but decided to take a detour through the water. The moose ended up walking within 10 feet of the shore, watching us the whole time. It was a very cool experience to say the least.

P6270338.jpg

P6270339.jpg

We stayed for another 2 nights but we didnt have anymore encounters. I managed to get in a few hours of fishing but didnt get any smallies. All in all it was nice to get away for a few days and relax. I would have loved to fish a bit more and get into some fish but it was still a great time.

wow - great up close shots of the moose. He was very relaxed about you guys. I was about three times that far away from one once in LSPP and he stared me down and made some false charges. I gave him his space pretty darn fast - big animal.

That's a few excellent pictures, thanks for putting them up !!

I always think of moose as very majestic critters, specially the males and it's always good to see them. Coming down hwy 11 near North Bay a couple years back there were 3 of them standing just off the hwy watching the cars go by.

Fish or no fish it looks like a great place for you and your GF to relax at. Thanks for sharing.

That's a few excellent pictures, thanks for putting them up !!

I always think of moose as very majestic critters, specially the males and it's always good to see them. Coming down hwy 11 near North Bay a couple years back there were 3 of them standing just off the hwy watching the cars go by.

Hwy11 eh? They were probably speed cops in their moose costumes. :)

Very cool!!! my heart would have skipped a few beats!! We just got back from camping on the corridor at Mew Lake tonight... saw a Mom and baby moose by the Opeongo store and a Black Bear about fifteen feet away... from the car (thankfully) eating some wild blueberries!! All in all algonquin has always lived up to the hype of a great experience!!