Mountsberg

cynmar

To emans point they really need to cull some of the pike to get back to the excellent Bass fishery that used to be Montsberg especially on the Raptor Center side. When I started fishing Montsberg there were no pike on the Raptor Center side of the lake. You could run 10lb leader and never lose a bait to biteoff. Now I run 30lb hard saltwater leader because without it you will lose 5 or 6 baits to hammer handles ( I caught about 60 dink pike last time I was at Montsberg and I only fish the Raptor Center side). At some point the management of Conservation areas need some latitude on fish management tools as well. They are Conservation areas after all and the management should be permitted to conserve desirable species like Bass with C&R only and bait restrictions.

The real bottom line about Montsberg is that the shore fishing is pathetic. For the life of me I can't understand guys getting up early in the morning driving to and then spending $10 to park to fish such a lame place for shore fishing. That some guys will actually poach the spot for that extremely low level of angling success is truly mind boggling.

To Old Bass Guy. Assuming you were fishing by the metal tube that joins both parts of Montsberg where the train passes over, good work as YOU WERE POACHING. The fine there, because of the danger of passing trains, is over $500 per person per offense. Both the MNR and the CP Police enforce the law because this is probably the most abused as well as dangerous poaching spot in the GTA (Bronte Creek being another massively abused spot by hack "anglers"). When I fish Montsberg, from my kickboat, the train tracks are covered with poachers even though trespassing signs are clearly there and even when I point this fact out to these goobers most just continue to fish. Up until recently the game warden used to have a milk run between Montsbergs's train tracks and the bridge at Valens (legal to fish off that Valens bridge IF you have a fishing license AND obey limits/seasons but of course many of these anglers don't bother with regs,)The game wardens usually got the poachers for trespass, no licence and/or limit season violations. The Full Monty of regulation enforcement. The CP cops even set up road blocks to nail poachers at both ends of the tracks as the poachers usually park illegally as well (to save the parking fee at Montsberg Raptor Center or the Dam side). Bottom line, learn the regs where you fish because you deserve a $500 fine and confiscation of fishing gear for your weekend. That would be real "frustration".

Snidely, thanks for pointing that out to me, I observed no no trespassing signs and although you continued with a low brow personal attack , I am a 3rd generation white Canadian that yes, I didn't jump on the MNR site to make sure I could fish there. My bad. You want to be an ignorant jerk go somewhere else. I have a valid 3year fishing liscence and probably more so than yourself am environmentally conscious and very rarely keep any fish. So I applaud you for pointing it our but lambaste you for a personal attack. Bite me.

I' just like dislike anyone fishing there period. I grew up close by and have fished mountsberg for over 20 years. It was a secret spot Italo told us about back in the day, where big bass lurk in the weeds. I have seen this place deconstruct first hand and would support MNR enforcement. I would even support declarling it a fish santuary with bass stocking program for several to let it regenerate.

Stop the poachers!

Back in the day when Italo told you about it?

I grew up in Carlisle, and used to bike over there as a kid.

That place was a shadow of its former glory long before Italo started spreading the word. LOL!

The creek that flows out of it used to have really good brookies in it when I was a kid too.

Slowly over the years bass infiltrated the creek and it warmed up dramatically in the summer because of the reservoir.

Wasn't too thrilled about that...

You couldn't pay me to fish there now, it's just too saddening. I prefer to leave my memories untarnished.

Edited by Mike Borger