Boat porpoising

sneak_e_pete

Hey. I actually broke down and put some smart tabs on. Absolutely amazing difference. Planes early, zero bounce. Was very enjoyable to be out in. I opened her up and after playing with the trim I got 68 kmph. The Suzuki 140 is more like a 115, when compared to a Merc, but I chose

longevity over top speed. 68 kmph is fast enough for me!

To top it off, got into some great Lake Erie perch. Schools were crazy!

Hey. I actually broke down and put some smart tabs on. Absolutely amazing difference. Planes early, zero bounce. Was very enjoyable to be out in. I opened her up and after playing with the trim I got 68 kmph. The Suzuki 140 is more like a 115, when compared to a Merc, but I chose

How difficult were they to install? I don't have a hole shot/planing issue with the smaller prop. Even with 4 people it popped out of the water easy. But I couldn't get full speed out of it, due to the bounce. Had to keep reducing the plane until it was stable.

How difficult were they to install? I don't have a hole shot/planing issue with the smaller prop. Even with 4 people it popped out of the water easy. But I couldn't get full speed out of it, due to the bounce. Had to keep reducing the plane until it was stable.

Forgot also to ask - unrelated. The Rod Storage. How have you been finding it for storing your Fishing Rods? I am assuming you are collapsing them?

Plane easy. My same issue was the bounce and it is gone. Took 1/2 hour to install... Super easy. Ya, the rod storage sucks. I have 4 7ft one piece

rods and the rod eyes are too big too big to fit in the tubes.

Ok. I have the same problem. I am thinking of pulling (or trying to) out the inserts. I think they move (maybe). My spinning rods break down, so they store fine. But I am moving into baitcasters, which appear to be mostly 1 piece.

Told ya. :D

Very glad to hear you've solved the problem.

Im thinking raising the motor one increment at a time and trying it would do the trick. These boats don't need trim tabs, just have to have the motor set up properly.

Not true. I tweaked my Lund before putting on the trim tabs and nothing helped.

Ive been around boats for over 40 yrs and have never seen an aluminum under 20 ft with trim tabs. Also have never experienced any tinny or bassboat with porpoising problems that cant be fixed by adjusting the height of the motor or putting the right prop on it. Not saying that tabs dont work but there not required. Now my cruiser without tabs and you would be screwed, it has to have them.(hydraulic)

Ive been around boats for over 40 yrs and have never seen an aluminum under 20 ft with trim tabs. Also have never experienced any tinny or bassboat with porpoising problems that cant be fixed by adjusting the height of the motor or putting the right prop on it. Not saying that tabs dont work but there not required. Now my cruiser without tabs and you would be screwed, it has to have them.(hydraulic)

I'm not claiming to be an expert, I'm only relaying my own personal experience with trim tabs. I would never steer anybody wrong.

For what it's worth, and I havn't even mentioned this yet, I've been dealing with a similar porpoising issue with my new 16' Smokercraft Ultima. I have a 75 4 stroke Merc on it and it's basically ran like crap since it's been in the water this spring. Porpoising is the biggest issue.

I've had it at the Merc dealer in Rouyn Noranda since our last trip up.

So far they've adjusted the height of the motor, changed the prop and even installed a wedge behind the motor.

Currently a hydrofoil has eliminated the issue but that's only temporary. I'm 7 hours south and the price they quoted me for trim tabs was ridiculous. I'll take the hydrofoil off next time I'm up and install the tabs myself.

Until then at least the boat is functioning semi normally.

Mike, I'm no boat expert but I'm wondering if you have a problem with your hull cause it shouldn't be that difficult to get rid of porpoising in a 16' boat.

I purchased a new 17' boat once that would tilt about 45 degrees to port as soon as I hit around 30 MPH. Turned out the hull was hooked near the stern and that was causing the problem.

Dealership ended up giving me another new boat.

I'm wondering if something similar could be causing your problem.

Mike, I'm no boat expert but I'm wondering if you have a problem with your hull cause it shouldn't be that difficult to get rid of porpoising in a 16' boat.

I purchased a new 17' boat once that would tilt about 45 degrees to port as soon as I hit around 30 MPH. Turned out the hull was hooked near the stern and that was causing the problem.

Dealership ended up giving me another new boat.

I'm wondering if something similar could be causing your problem.

Don't think so Lew. The inherent problem is simply too much power for the boat imo. (It's a very light boat, and only 16' long)

When the guys had the boat out for a test a few days ago, everything was now fine, but the guy told me the boat was so fast at top speed it was slightly scary. :D

My old 16' Lund was stupidly fast and porpoising out of control when I first put the 40 on it too. 36mph on the gps...

$100 and I solved the problem. Case closed

You didn't solve the problem, you merely made an adjustment.

"Case closed" simply means you may never get the hole shot, top speed and best fuel economy out of your boat. If you're okay with that, enjoy.

A friend had a 12' tinnie with a 9'9 Evinrude that porpoised like crazy for 10 years. I asked him why he didn't fix the problem and was told it was un-fixable as that's how it came from the dealership

I reached down the transom and flipped the manual trim in 1 notch and the problem instantly disappeared.

The look on his face was priceless :thumbsup_anim:

How much did the tabs slow you down at a troll? Just wondering.....

In my case absolutely useless in that capacity. I put the pro troller tabs on the Lund and they did virtually nothing to slow the boat down. Total waste of the extra money.

Performance as mentioned was another story.

Yeah, my boat porpoises like crazy if I lift the motor up one hole too. It doesn't take much to set it up right. I agree that the tabs are just a band aid. That boat should run mint, and move right along, no problem.

s.

In my case on both of my boats I had the placement of the motor on the transom changed several times, as well as different props were tried.

Clarence at Bay City Marine was one of the guys who looked at the Lund.

Nothing worked.

For those of you slagging the trim tabs as a band aid, have any of you actually tried them yourself?

Regarding the hole shot comment, any boat with properly installed tabs will get on plane faster and at a slower speeed.

Do you guys know how trim tabs work?

Yes, I know all about trim tabs, but I still think a 16ft aluminum should get up on plane and run smooth with no problems. A bigger boat, with a full load of fuel/water/gear, I understand, but a 16ft fishing boat doesn't make sense.

I was hoping the tabs may slow me down a bit. I have a spot between 1.7 and 2.3mph that my boat won't go. I get 1.7 on the electric, and 2.3 on the main....I usually like to troll right in the range I can't get with either :wallbash:

Its funny, I have been in A LOT of 16ft lunds, and they all got up on plane, and ran smooth no problem. Are you sure your hull isn't hooked or something?? Weird....

Sure, the tabs will be an improvement, and I'm glad the OP is happy with them, but I still think there is something fishy with the set up.

S.

nobody has slagged a trim tab in this discussion. am i reading the same post everyone saying its good the problem is solved? and that they work?

but i agree entirely they are a band aid in this case. trim tabs are to make a working boat run better..this boat came out of the box with a problem. to get it running properly without tabs, then add them would give you the best performance.

I told you so is a comment everyone loves to hear. and its unlikely you are the only guy on the forum who knows how trim tabs work.

Edited by smally21

I was going to ask you that since you're the only guy on the planet with tabs on a tinny.

Why don't you ask Clarence at Bay City Marine in Hamilton who installed them for me after exhausting every other avenue.

nobody has slagged a trim tab in this discussion. am i reading the same post everyone saying its good the problem is solved? and that they work?

but i agree entirely they are a band aid in this case. trim tabs are to make a working boat run better..this boat came out of the box with a problem. to get it running properly without tabs, then add them would give you the best performance.

I told you so is a comment everyone loves to hear. and its unlikely you are the only guy on the forum who knows how trim tabs work.

I wish I'd have consulted you before spending my money having several different marinas look into my porpoising issues.

I could have saved myself a lot of time money and aggravation.

Edited by Mike Borger

Hey guys. Lets get real about something. True, the boat should run from the get go. I just dont have time right now to deal with a dealer who is 3 hours away and test a bunch of different things. I will one day, but for now the smart tabs lets me and my kids get out fishing in comfort. I could care less about hole shot and top speed (which I think is pretty awesome already). On plane at 3500 rpm and top speed of 65-70kmph is great in my books.

since when were we talking about your issue (with your boat that is)? did i mention anything about your boat or experiences?

if that is what worked for your, great. but as you said yourself, you exhausted all other options first.

Edited by smally21