First time fly fishing

Live2fish85

Well I got my first fly setup today. I have been thinking alot about it lately and decided to get a setup. Bills bait set me up great as they always do.

I have been tying flies lately which has made me want to fly fish. So I got home and watched some videos on youtube about casting and went at it. Took about an hour and I was casting pretty good I thought. Moved down to where some fish were. Tossed a few times and then a big largie hit. It was a shock as I couldnt even see it just felt it. Got it close to shore and he got off which was fine with me. moved away to another spot and got a rock bass.

Nothing great catching a rock bass but was a good feeling for my first time fly fishing.

Sorry as I didn't take a pic as it was a rock bass lol.

Thanks for reading.

Well I got my first fly setup today. I have been thinking alot about it lately and decided to get a setup. Bills bait set me up great as they always do.

I have been tying flies lately which has made me want to fly fish. So I got home and watched some videos on youtube about casting and went at it. Took about an hour and I was casting pretty good I thought. Moved down to where some fish were. Tossed a few times and then a big largie hit. It was a shock as I couldnt even see it just felt it. Got it close to shore and he got off which was fine with me. moved away to another spot and got a rock bass.

Nothing great catching a rock bass but was a good feeling for my first time fly fishing.

Sorry as I didn't take a pic as it was a rock bass lol.

Thanks for reading.

Hey Live2Fish! Glad to hear another poor sucker caught the fly fishing bug. Tired it last year, and I'm a confirmed addict. Having a lot of fun with the mooneye on the Grand, although it was a tough one tonight. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up and trying your luck with a fellow floss tosser.

Thats awesome, seems to be a lot of guys trying it out lately. A couple years ago I tried it and just loved it and pretty much thats most of the fishing I do now. Going to try and hook my brother inlaw this weekend, booked a learn to fly fish day with a local guide for his birthday, it will be mostly review for me but nothing wrong with that and hopefully he will catch the bug.

It is relaxing. I was out yesterday at 5 am and no one was around. As for fun thats forsure.

I think I may have trouble wanting to fish with any other rod now lol.

Ha! We can modify that opinion with a nice King 250 foot back on a beautiful on lake O I think. biggrin.gif It does look like a great way to unwind though

Ha! We can modify that opinion with a nice King 250 foot back on a beautiful on lake O I think. biggrin.gif It does look like a great way to unwind though

That is true. Who am I kidding to I will fish any way I can lol.

I can't wait to get some pike this weekend on the fly rod up north.

Nice! I'm a little envious... I have to wait until Septembers trip to Lady Evelyn to try my fly rod for pike. (Only ever caught 2 around here, and they were on nightcrawlers)

Edited by The JAY

that's awesome, you caught a fish and didn't catch the back of head an ear arm ect sounds like your an expert already.

i have 2 fly set ups a 7wt and a 5wt that i havn't seen in 15 years and wish i could remember who borrowed them lol

that's awesome, you caught a fish and didn't catch the back of head an ear arm ect sounds like your an expert already.

i have 2 fly set ups a 7wt and a 5wt that i havn't seen in 15 years and wish i could remember who borrowed them lol

Far from being a expert lol. When I was first learning to cast I was going back to far and not waiting for the line to straighten out.

An one time I hit.my ear then another off the back of my neck. After that I figured it out quickly what I was doing wrong lol.