Dark Lake Ontario, any one familiar ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Heading up to the cottage again like we do every year. The cottage is located on Dark Lake (Wilberforce Area) and I'm told it stocked with lake trout and it is a DEEP lake, approx 100ft

I have been to the cottage 2-3 times during the summer, I have fished Elephant lake and casted Dark Lake for some smallies, but I have NEVER targeted the lake trout in the lake and I think this year would be a great year to try it.

I have done a little reading on deep water trout fishing with no down riggers. and I don't think its going to be that difficult.

2oz bottom bouncer with about 3-4 ft leader and a spoon coming off the back. Trolling speed " Fast enough to make the lure work, and no faster"

We are going the week of July 13th to the 20th..... I have read this isn't great Lake Trout season, would it be ok on a lake this deep ?

What color spoons and what size should I be picking up ? Is there any other pieces I should add to the presentation ? beads, blades, etc.

Any help would be great ! Thanks

Lake Trout fishing in the dead of summer isn't very hard. You know where the fish are going to be opposed to after ice out. Sounds like you are on the ball... Might wanna add a gang troll to your box, but that's totally up to you.. I'd stick to smaller NK spoons, husky jerks, J11's, etc...

Lake Trout fishing in the dead of summer isn't very hard. You know where the fish are going to be opposed to after ice out. Sounds like you are on the ball... Might wanna add a gang troll to your box, but that's totally up to you.. I'd stick to smaller NK spoons, husky jerks, J11's, etc...

I read that summer trout fishing is fairly simple aswell.... they stack up in the cool water spots so they are more concentrated !!

Whats a "gang troll" ???

Thanks for the reply

I've had a cottage there for over 20 yrs. Grace lake is better for trout in my experience. There are also many rainbow lakes in the area, that I find more productive, and amazing table fare!

I don't do a lot of trolling in the summer for lakers, but in the spring we do well on #9-11 Tail dancers. Even in the summer, the trout aren't all that deep. 30ft is usually a good starting point. Leadcore works well too.

The times I have tried them with the riggers, we got them on #60 sized williams wobblers in blue/silver, and gold/chartreuse, down 30 and 40ft.

Stick to the north end of GRace and you will pop a few trout. They are mostly right in the slot size, but still fun to catch. If you need any more specific info, pm me.

S.

I've had a cottage there for over 20 yrs. Grace lake is better for trout in my experience. There are also many rainbow lakes in the area, that I find more productive, and amazing table fare!

I don't do a lot of trolling in the summer for lakers, but in the spring we do well on #9-11 Tail dancers. Even in the summer, the trout aren't all that deep. 30ft is usually a good starting point. Leadcore works well too.

The times I have tried them with the riggers, we got them on #60 sized williams wobblers in blue/silver, and gold/chartreuse, down 30 and 40ft.

Stick to the north end of GRace and you will pop a few trout. They are mostly right in the slot size, but still fun to catch. If you need any more specific info, pm me.

S.

Thanks for the info... I will be sending you a pm ! :)

Don't overlook vertical jigging either...put the electronics on that new rig of yours to use thumbsup_anim.gif

Hahaha Im way ahead of you... Im so pumped to get to use the electronics this trip ! Should be fun !

IMHO, trolling for lakers in the summer is an exercise in washing lures. IF you have a good idea where the fish are, then jigging is a much more efficient way to find fish. Even if you are going to boat around to find fish - presumably with electronics - then why putt along at trolling speed through all kinds of unproductive water? Jigging spoons, heavy tailspins, and heavy white tube jigs will all catch them once you find them.