hatches

Due to the weird weather this year I am not trusting any hatch charts, I know that the gnats are out and dragonflies, someone reported seeing caddisflies but are they in full swing or just starting out? I think all of the fly fishers that aren't so good at recognizing and finding these insects could greatly benefit from this. thumbsup_anim.gif

Due to the weird weather this year I am not trusting any hatch charts, I know that the gnats are out and dragonflies, someone reported seeing caddisflies but are they in full swing or just starting out? I think all of the fly fishers that aren't so good at recognizing and finding these insects could greatly benefit from this. thumbsup_anim.gif

Here you go young one.

http://www.troutnut.com/hatches

Edited by Misfish

For the most part, just consider everything to be 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule. Early season hatches are largely based on the number of days the water has been above X temperature for different species.

Hendricksons are pretty much done now aside from upper reaches of coldwater systems. Grey fox and Green drakes are just getting started. Sulphurs are popping up here and there as well.

Caddis are thick just about everywhere now. Craneflies are out and about, midges as usual....

Stoneflies have begun! Get those stimulators out!

dave

Here's a bit of whats going on in the bug world right now....

Grey Fox Dun

grey-fox-dun-1.jpg

Grey Fox Spinner

grey-fox-spinner-1.jpg

Green Drake Dun Mind you, this species is on a pretty steep decline and won't be found in most streams...

green-drake-1.jpg

Green Drake Spinner

green-drake-spinner-2.jpg

Mottled Stonfly

mottled-stonefly.jpg

Craneflies

crane-flies.jpg