Pleasurecraft Opperators Card

NAW

I had a co-worker ask me a question that I couldn't answer.

He has some friends coming up from the USA. He wants to lend them his sail boat for a week. It’s a small boat with a 2hp motor. They are not proficient sailors, and just want to motor around Penetang with the 2hp. Do a little fishing and relaxing.

I thought you didn’t need an operators card if you where renting a boat.

If my buddy writes up a rental agreement, and they both sign it. Can his guest from the USA run the boat legally with out an operators card?

My guess would be no.. But I'm not 100% sure. I would think a rental boat would have to have some sort of certification, or documentation?

My guess would be no.. But I'm not 100% sure. I would think a rental boat would have to have some sort of certification, or documentation?

Without having had a look at the regs, I would agree with you. If they ended up being checked by OPP marine, I somehow don't think a quickly made up agreement is going to cut it and could land your buddy in hot water. They'd do better to spend the few bucks and rent a boat from a marina. I don't even want to think about the liability issues they open themselves up to.

This type of arrangement is not something I would entertain myself.

When you rent a boat, the owner must give the renter a briefing and mark off a checklist that covers certain safety aspects. The renter then carries this checklist and produces it when inspected.

If you friend's friends can produce a safe boaters card from the US, they're fine. Otherwise they'd need both a rental agreement and the checklist.

Here’s a copy of the safety check list that renters and renter must go through, sign and is kept by the renter as proof of competency.

As long as the renter (or your buddies friend) has it with them there shouldn’t be an issue if they were stopped. Now if there were something to happen I’m not sure where the liability would fall?

I’d be making a call to the insurance broker.

Dan.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/rental-boat-safety-checklist.pdf

Unless the renter is a registered business in the boat rental field,(ie: outfitter, cottage resort or marina ect.)don't even consider trying a rental agreement to avoid an operators card.

A equivalent card from there home jurisdiction is good.

Is there a USA boating licence???

Sort of.

Unlike here in Canada, in the US it's handled state by state. Some states require operator licencing and some don't.

I've seen an OPP officer here in Ontario check on a visiting American boater and he accepted US Power Squadron card as evidence of training. In reality, the American wasn't required to have an operator's certificate at all because he was in a US-licenced boat.

We all know that having a PCOC doesn't make anybody a better boater. It's a cash grab. If I were the visiting American, I'd just take the OP's loaned boat and not worry about it. Take a chance! Live a bit!

If you get caught, be really friendly and really dumb.

You've got a good chance of getting a break, especially since most cops don't fully understand the 45 day rule for non-residents.

Edited by whiskywizard

Sort of.

Unlike here in Canada, in the US it's handled state by state. Some states require operator licencing and some don't. I've seen an OPP officer here in Ontario check on a visiting American boater and he accepted US Power Squadron card as evidence of training.

We all know that having a PCOC doesn't make anybody a better boater. It's a cash grab. If I were the visiting American, I'd just take the OP's loaned boat and not worry about it. Take a chance! Live a bit!

If you get caught, be really friendly and really dumb.

So what if you live in a state without operator licenses?

Here’s a copy of the safety check list that renters and renter must go through

Thanks for the link.

And thanks everyone for the response to far. I sent a link to this thread to my buddy. I'll let him decide.

None of them can come to Canada without getting one first???

I assume you mean - "and operate a boat". whistling.gif

An American in an American-licensed vessel doesn't need a PCOC of any kind until he's been here more than 45 days consecutively.

An American in a Canadian-licenced boat - that isn't a rental - must have evidence of boater safety training. It can be from a US State agency, from USCGA or USPS, or an accredited private company.

An American in a rented boat must carry and produce the renter's safety checklist, signed by the owner and the renter.

So what if you live in a state without operator licenses?

Well, he could:

- spend 20 minutes on a computer and a few bucks and get a Canadian PCOC that's good for life, or

- take a US-based safety course that would be recognized here, or

- he could come here and take his chances, or

- he could stay home.

everybody has choices. smile.gif