Walleye Opener report

jedimaster

Well, I ended up doing the walleye opener a bit different than normal. A couple from work who had never gone fishing or camping before wanted to go fishing so I invited them up with me and my GF for a weekend camping trip. I still hit the same lake and although I wasnt too impressed with the campground it was clean and we had lots of room. Anyway... The first day was Saturday blue bird skies and Hot. Not a breath of air. Water was 62 degrees, a bit warmer than normal. We tried our usualy spot for a few hours first thing and nothing, not even a rock bass. Moved to our secondary spot and I hit one. a good sized eater. An hour later and I hit another, and hour later one more, an hour later and another. The others were getting a bit frustrated, but what can you do. I had my limit... even lent a few for a picture...

7249242520_7ea5bdabc0.jpg

We were all hot so we headed back to the camp to setup and have dinner.

7249237072_2d68aa7c33.jpg

I filleted two fish to show them how and they each had there turn.

7249238752_e460ee38e8.jpg

A bit of a butcher job but they got the job done.

[7249240604_9c397b6b7f.jpg

We enjoy a couple nice meals of walleye on day one.

7249240996_2b6b07a465.jpg

The next day I hit one more in the morning, but they got skunked. :( We did have another little walleye lunch for us. We went back out after lunch and the girl we brought up hit her first... a 4 inch rock bass. Boy was she happy.

Anyway, they left around dinner and we camped another night and fished a few hours monday with no luck... Traffic was really light so the drive was good.

The sun was up high with no clouds and I think the fish just moved deeper than we were prepared to fish.

I caught all of my fish on a drop shot with a white mister twister. We were fishing in about 5-25 fow, along rocky edges, drop offs and humps. The key seemed to be a very subtle presentation and a quick trigger finger to set the hook. White was the color of the weekend. I was using a G Loomis GL2 Medium action drop shot rod with 20 pound green power pro, a circle hook and a drop shot weight.

Edited by jedimaster

Anytime you can take new guys out fishing and catch what your looking for is a good time in my books. :) Funny thing about that pic is he didn't know they were there, he screamed like a girl when it kissed his ear. lol

Edited by jedimaster

I am a firm believer in getting new people out with you. I make it a point to get new anglers, and new gun owners out there. Alot of people are interested in both but they just don't know how, or how much fun it is. Share our sports and pastimes and only good things come of it. They both have new ugly sticks (I had them go to Flaherty's) and fishing licenses. This puts more money into the pockets of our retailers that we love and money into the MnR(hopefully).

Anyway a bit nieve that I think I make a difference on my own, but consider this a challenge to everyone here to get someone new out fishing, hunting or out to a gun range. There are so many haters, anti's and pollitical negatives out there we need as many people interested as possible.

I rarely post reports here do to the flack people often get, but this is a big forum with dedicated outdoorsman. We all complaign about how to make a positive difference for pollitical and other issues that suround us so get someone new into the sport and it will only help.

Thats my soap box for the season...... At least until the 12-13 NHL season starts and its time to rant about the leafs and sens. lol

p.s. sens suck