Timmins fire #9. Are fishing lodges closed?

Tootsie II

An "Emergency Area Order" banning all travel and work in the bush within a 100 km radius of forest fire Timmins #9 has been declared. This means that no one can be in the bush within that zone for any reason. The OPP have stated that will will arrest and detain anyone disobeying the ban. Any OFC'ers who might have upcoming reservations for the next 2 weeks or so at any of the fishing lodges in that area might want to check on their status, that is if there's anyone there to answer them. Lodges like those on Mattagami Lake, Minisinakwa Lake, Mesomikenda Lake, Tatatichapika Lake, Kenogamissi Lake and Horwwood Lake immediately come to mind. My fishing partner and I were scheduled to go to the Shining Tree area next Monday, so that been kyboshed for now.

Edited by Tootsie II

I completely forgot about the 6 lodges in the Shining Tree area that are probably within the 100 km Emergency Area Order. We go to a lake about 30 Km North-East of Shining Tree. My cousin's wife from just outside the Mattagami First Nation posted on her Facebook page that the Minaki Lodge and the Mattagami First Nation ( the Reserve) has been ordered evacuated. This is the worst fire season that I can remember since I was about 7 yrs old around 1954-55 when there was talk of evacuating Timmins and my uncle and aunt got burned out at Rinabi Mines.

They were talking about these fires on the TV this morning and saying there's some fire crews coming in today from BC to help out.

These fires are a very common occurance in the north but it's always tragic when they take out homes and peoples livelihoods.

Good luck to everyone involved.

Using the Google "Ontario Forest Fire Location" app that is accessible on the MNR website, I measured the Timmins # 9 fire at being only about 60 km from Shining Tree, therefore the lodges in that area would be affected by the Emergency Area Order.