Tippet question

misfish

First let's get out terminology correct. :D

Leader- the leader is the length of line between the fly line and the tippet.

Tippet- is the piece of line between the leader and the fly.

There are several types of leaders including tapered, knotless tapered, furled, straight.

Straight leaders are just that a single straight piece of line between the fly line and fly. This type of leader is almost always used when using sinking lines and the length is generally 3'-5' long.

Standard tapered leaders (or knotted tapered leaders) are made from several pieces of mono from heavier at the fly line end to lighter at the tippet end. Knotless tapered leaders are factory made and are just like the knotted kind without the knots. The taper is what helps the fly to turn over. They are generally 7 1/2' or 9' but can be longer.

Furled leaders are hand woven tapered high perdormance leaders that have a very soft presentation.

The tippet is the section of line that is attched to the fly. It can be lighter or heavier in weight than the leader. For light trout fishing it is usually lighter than the leader and 18"-24" in length. For toothy fish like pike and musky it is heavier than the leaders weight and usually wire, coated wire or flourocarbon leader material. Length is again 18"-24".

First let's get out terminology correct. :D

Leader- the leader is the length of line between the fly line and the tippet.

Tippet- is the piece of line between the leader and the fly.

There are several types of leaders including tapered, knotless tapered, furled, straight.

Straight leaders are just that a single straight piece of line between the fly line and fly. This type of leader is almost always used when using sinking lines and the length is generally 3'-5' long.

Standard tapered leaders (or knotted tapered leaders) are made from several pieces of mono from heavier at the fly line end to lighter at the tippet end. Knotless tapered leaders are factory made and are just like the knotted kind without the knots. The taper is what helps the fly to turn over. They are generally 7 1/2' or 9' but can be longer.

Furled leaders are hand woven tapered high perdormance leaders that have a very soft presentation.

The tippet is the section of line that is attched to the fly. It can be lighter or heavier in weight than the leader. For light trout fishing it is usually lighter than the leader and 18"-24" in length. For toothy fish like pike and musky it is heavier than the leaders weight and usually wire, coated wire or flourocarbon leader material. Length is again 18"-24".

Thanks Dave. Now Im realy confused.LOL

I attached a Knotless tapered leader.

I normally use a leader/ tippet combo the same length as my rod (the exception being fishing in tight spaces (go shorter) or fishing very deep (go longer).

If you make your own tapered leader, you use decreasing thicknesses of mono knotted together, a knotless tapered leader is the same but is made in a factory without using knots - a lot of guys make their own, I buy the same ones you have, life's too short :)

The leader you have attached should have a loop on one end, that attaches to the fly line (loop to loop) you thenn attach a length of tippet to the other end with a double surgeons knot. The tippet is basically a disposable length of line that you can chip away at when tying on new flies, once it gets short, just tie on a new one. If you need to shorten the leader, take it off the thin end, not the thick.

Fly fishing really isn't that complicated :good:

I had no loop on the main,or tippet. I tied this knot to join them.

morrum.jpg

I just tied the fly with an improved clinch knot to the tippet.

single.gif

So I guess I did it wrong. I still need to tie on a leader.

surgeon.gif

I didnt get out,but cant wait to.

Edited by Misfish

I had no loop on the main,or tippet. I tied this knot to join them.

morrum.jpg

I just tied the fly with an improved clinch knot to the tippet.

single.gif

So I guess I did it wrong. I still need to tie on a leader.

surgeon.gif

I didnt get out,but cant wait to.

Just tie a perfection loop in the fat end of your leader and loop the connections together.

How to tie the perfection loop