Lake Erie Perch (or lack of) making me angry!

Finally got out when the wind wasn't blowing 25K. Launched out of Mohawk Marina in Lowbanks. Followed as much advice as I could....ended up with 1 perch (dink) and 1 sheepshead.

I hate to ask again...but HELP. My son is going to give up if I don't get him onto some fish soon.

I focused on 60-65 feet of water. I did mark some fish, but not the big schools I was expecting. In most cases...the mark showed as a long horizontal line (fairly thin) just above bottom....I am assuming these are perch? I used a drop shot and minnows.

Frustrating to hear of guys limiting out...I want to be that guy!

Finally got out when the wind wasn't blowing 25K. Launched out of Mohawk Marina in Lowbanks. Followed as much advice as I could....ended up with 1 perch (dink) and 1 sheepshead.

I hate to ask again...but HELP. My son is going to give up if I don't get him onto some fish soon.

I focused on 60-65 feet of water. I did mark some fish, but not the big schools I was expecting. In most cases...the mark showed as a long horizontal line (fairly thin) just above bottom....I am assuming these are perch? I used a drop shot and minnows.

Frustrating to hear of guys limiting out...I want to be that guy!

I will be going out again with my trusty puppy Tundra this morning....I will let you know how we do....don't really need any more fish right now as the freezer is bulging with them.....

But anyways......I am not familiar with the area you mentioned.....I will be going out of the Catt again but heard they are catching perch off the wind mills in Buffalo in 47 FOW.......

Perch, especially Lake Erie perch are EXTREMELY light biters and really just hang onto your EMERALD SHINERS......this is the only bait you should be using....and ANCHORED so you can dangle that bait right in from of them by slowly lifting and dropping all day long.....if the LIGHTEST sinker you can use now feels a bit heavier SET THE HOOK HARD.....the bigger the perch the lighter the "non-hit".

I hope this helps you out........LOOK for the other boats and watch them and learn....it's a much more finesse fishing then any other fishing out there.

Bob

I went out on Sunday; we launched at Turkey Point and fished the mouth or the bay.

For my 4:30 am wake up call I was rewarded with 1 little perch, 3 pike and 2 bass.

Not having a fish fry after 6 hours of fishing and a 350km round trip leaves me unsatisfied

.....Frustrating to hear of guys limiting out...I want to be that guy!,,,,,

Thanks. The post about not feeling the bite makes me think. When I feel the tap tap tap, should I be setting the hook? I have been waiting until they "take it" assuming they were just playing with it.

ya know that old saying "you never know unless you try"? you should be lifting the rod after the first tap.

setting the hook often results in a lost minnow so when fishing deeper water many people wait until they feel the weight of the perch before setting the hook to avoid having to rebait constantly. if you use sharp hooks you don't really have to set the hook as the fish hook themselves resulting in more fish and less lost bait.

using an underwater camera while ice fishing has taught me just how light fish can bite. you'd be surprised by how many 12" perch can suck in a minnow and spit it out causing the slightest movement on a spring bobber.

what line are you using?

Perch fishing was OK at best yesterday....TOO CALM on Lake Erie........I went alone with Tundra and caught 17 perch.....kept 11 and only 5 were PIGS.....most of them now caught were males.....will be trying again tomorrow if winds stay calm, but this time out of Buffalo Harbor instead of 45 miles west out of the Catt.....

I did get a bit of a late start as I decided it would be easier yesterday to purchase my bait as I had too many things going to make a bait run on Monday.....but when I got to the bait shop he was closed with a sign "Be Back at 8:45am"...grrrr....but he did get back by 8:30 with fresh minnows.....and then I quit around 12:45pm......so it was a short day.....HOWEVER, the bite wasn't really on....things have slowed down a bit.....maybe tomorrow will be better.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

I'm new to Erie; this is my second season owning a boat! She is a small 16ft so I keep a close eye on the winds and only venture out on calm days.

.... TOO CALM on Lake Erie.... what do you think? do they just get spooked by the boat? or does the calm turn then off.

I think I need to get away from the crowds and find my own school to play with. I know it's not a lure, line or a technique problem.

I'll try again over the long weekend; this time I'll spend more time boating around looking for them.

I want to figure out the perch before I start targeting the golden boys.

krixxer, my boat is only a 16' aluminum boat but she's has a wide beam for a 16' footer....84" beam and 39" deep......but if you take it slow on the rough days you will have no problem navigating 3 footers....I did it for YEARS but now I'm a lot older and can't take the pounding...

But anyway's.....yes, too calm can make it tough fishing anywhere....a nice 1-1.5' chop is ideal on Erie for perch.....and have caught many in 3' waves....when I caught these Lake Erie PIGS it was a good 2' chop building to 3' when we finally called it quits....at first we had a hard time getting my anchor to hold in my little hot spot.......

The only way to catch fish is to keep going out.....and the best time to go is whenever you have time.....each time you learn something out there.

Good Luck and keep me posted how you do.

See this thread for more info......

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62142&st=0

Bob