Trolling motor battery

super dave

Due to limited storage space, I use an inflatable one man pontoon boat with trolling motor strapped to the motor mount. Usually I just row but the last few outings I put on the trolling motor. My question is, does the battery have to be covered? Whats the risk of having it exposed? I do strap the thing down so it doesn't slide off.

I stick mine in a cheap case and strap it down.

This way I don't hve to worry about shorting it out or having the battery go for a swim.

I just have a super cheap cover and use a long cam strap wrapped around it and the rear platform.

You can see it in this picture behind my seat.

Kam_1.jpg

Nope.

They only produce hydrogen gas when being charged so it's not an issue.

If you need to charge it in the boat the cover needs to be removed so there is your venting.

I don't remove my cover on my deep cycle battery and it's hooked up to the on-board charger any time I am not fishing....including right now.....been doing that for about 10 years without any issues.

I don't remove my cover on my deep cycle battery and it's hooked up to the on-board charger any time I am not fishing....including right now.....been doing that for about 10 years without any issues.

I had always heard good ventilation while charging is a must.

i wouldn't imagine on board charging is much of a consideration in a one man inflatable. covering the terminals would seem prudent. you couldn't lay something across the terminals if you tried, but if you weren't trying you can do it easily...

Drifter yer inflatable pontoon looks awesome. looks like it should have a machine gun mount and some navy seals in it..

i want a pontoon like this so bad. yours looks really sweet drifter.

do you guys find that a pontoon like that needs a trolling motor or is it alright to paddle?

I paddles fine but the electric does make life easier.

A lot of guys use fins for positioning but I have a bad knee which makes it pretty painful.

That's one of the reasons I sold my float tube and replaced it with a toon.

Rowing is good exercise especially out on the lake. ;)