Drift sock

archer379

Asking this for a friend we were out on the bay of quinti on the weekend and his trolling motor battery's died so we were trying to troll with his 90 mercury witch was to fast he put out the drift sock witch got us slow enough but then found he couldn't steer. We had the drift sock straight out behind the boat how do you guys rig up a drift sock to slow down

Backtroll (Yes, in reverse)with the sock out front. Unless you're in higher winds of course (waves too high to reverse into). I used a 5 gallon bucket for the purpose once - worked ok until the handle tore off (it was a temporary fix - long story!) :blush:

Michael

I've heard that reusable shopping bags work too.. For $2 I'm tempted to try that this year.

Was thinking of giving the massive sized Costco ones a try myself.

2 drift socks tied to front bow eye (one on each side) just long enough to reach midship will slow the boat down almost to a halt ,

MinnKota are ok for occasional use but if you're going to be using them on regular bases, Amish outfitters trolling bags are the way to go with adjustable cone opening.

Asking this for a friend we were out on the bay of quinti on the weekend and his trolling motor battery's died so we were trying to troll with his 90 mercury witch was to fast he put out the drift sock witch got us slow enough but then found he couldn't steer. We had the drift sock straight out behind the boat how do you guys rig up a drift sock to slow down

I am going to try this technique, it is supposed to help with boat steering, especially in heavy winds. http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/fishingresources/articles/fishingbaitandtackle/putasockinit

On the advice of other members i purchased socks from cabelas, they have a sale going on them, because of the weight system which help with deployment.