Getting ready for my June muskie trip...

One thing with crimping your own....

I add a bit of shrink tube over the finished crimps... It cleans it up nice and leaves less of an edge for weedsto catch on...

Better the weed snags up there than on the bait .. no?

Got my 2 new reels spooled up and the 2 shimanos respooled this morning... all tackle trays, boxes and bags are now cleaned and organized... check the classifieds soon for a tackle purge!!!

Mike - good tip!

I like fisherpete tackle purges

LOL Greg! Me too - met some great people on this board just by selling stuff! :)

Got the leader clips today - Gagnons had them. Could not find any 130 lb fluorocarbon however... checked at Sail too. 100 lb Seaguar was the strongest I saw. Not sure if the crimps I saw were the right ones either - they were made by Berkley and I think they are designed for steel wire.

Wayne - if memory serves, some people even add a modified treble hook at the top of the leader to catch weeds and keep them away from the lure. I think the shrink wrap just looks nice - gives the leader a more finished look. Because muskies REALLY care about that lmao! Sad part is that I will probably do it anyways!

Edited by Fisherpete

Better the weed snags up there than on the bait .. no?

The one that would catch weeds is the one at the bait... The tag end is pointed towards the rod...

So I guess it's the same... But it makes a sexy looking leader and I'm not picking moss off the crimps every cast...

And yes you can add a treble with rounded hook points(rounded so the hook point doesnt damage the leader material...)to the mainline end of your leader to catch weeds while trolling... Works great too... I don't do it but my dad does...

• 2 weeks later...

Found the 130lb fluoro today... and the right crimps. Will post the results after I make a few sexy leaders!

Trojan tackle trolling tower is being made as we speak :)

Also have a new rod on the way... Lew will approve! Will post a pic when I get it.

Need to get up to Shimano this week for the reel tune up... and to radioworld for that map chip. Almost ready to rock and roll! Only 15 more sleeps!!!

Just finished making a couple muskie leaders... a 12" for casting and a 24" for trolling. It was fun and they turned out great!

I used all the good stuff to make them...

130lb Seaguar fluorocarbon

300lb test heavy duty swivels with welded rings

Big-jon double-barrel crimps

#5 Stringease stay-lok snaps

Shrink tubing for sexiness... steamed on to not damage the fluorocarbon.

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

Edited by Fisherpete

Leaders look great! I should start making my own, save some money. I'm not sure I trust my skills though lol.

Can't wait for June! Got all of the gear I wanted, gonna finish sharpening some hooks.

considering how long heavy flourocarbon leaders last your not saving a lot of money making your own...

but...

you get to use components and materials you choose... in the sizes and lengths you choose....

like i use 48 inch leaders in 130lb for trolling...those are hard to find sometimes... especially locally...

considering how long heavy flourocarbon leaders last your not saving a lot of money making your own...

but...

you get to use components and materials you choose... in the sizes and lengths you choose....

like i use 48 inch leaders in 130lb for trolling...those are hard to find sometimes... especially locally...

Yeah I haven't seen 48" leaders anywhere. I buy my leaders from protackle, 150# flourocarbon (3' trolling, 1' casting) and 180# steel leaders for jerkbaits. I've had a musky hit just my flourocarbon leader and it didn't break, though it was frayed in a few spots.

Try 8" fluoro for jerkbait leaders and you'll get far better action on your baits.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll have to search around for some 8" leaders.

I have a love-hate relationship with jerkbaits. I love the action they produce, but hate how often the fish miss them. Plus once I get it back to boatside, I'm never sure what to do in the figure 8. Should I keep twitching it, or just do a figure 8 pattern like a bucktail?

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll have to search around for some 8" leaders.

I have a love-hate relationship with jerkbaits. I love the action they produce, but hate how often the fish miss them. Plus once I get it back to boatside, I'm never sure what to do in the figure 8. Should I keep twitching it, or just do a figure 8 pattern like a bucktail?

figure 8... but dont be afraid to add twiches and jerks while doing the figure 8...

got some fish on hellhounds doing that last year...

but hate how often the fish miss them.

Yeah, you'll miss some fish with jerkbaits, just like with any other bait, but just keep the same action going all the way back to the boat and there's every chance the fish will make another grab for it. She liked the action enough the 1st time to swipe at it, so give her another chance.

Just don't be in too much of a hurry to set the hook when the fish grabs it, instead wait until you actually feel the weight of it. Too often guys will see the fish hit and actually pull the bait away from her before it's even in her mouth.

Jerkbaits are awesome for muskies and I probably get at least a 1/3 of my fish that way.

Yeah, you'll miss some fish with jerkbaits, just like with any other bait, but just keep the same action going all the way back to the boat and there's every chance the fish will make another grab for it. She liked the action enough the 1st time to swipe at it, so give her another chance.

Just don't be in too much of a hurry to set the hook when the fish grabs it, instead wait until you actually feel the weight of it. Too often guys will see the fish hit and actually pull the bait away from her before it's even in her mouth.

Jerkbaits are awesome for muskies and I probably get at least a 1/3 of my fish that way.

I've definetely been guilty of that a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished making a couple muskie leaders... a 12" for casting and a 24" for trolling. It was fun and they turned out great!

I used all the good stuff to make them...

130lb Seaguar fluorocarbon

300lb test heavy duty swivels with welded rings

Big-jon double-barrel crimps

#5 Stringease stay-lok snaps

Shrink tubing for sexiness... steamed on to not damage the fluorocarbon.

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

where do you find the 130lb seaguar and crimps/crimping tool