For The salmon and trout experts

express168

After recently obtaining a basic GPS , I know have an accurate speed reading while trolling. I was out on the water today around the Hamilton harbour and Skyway bridge playing with trolling speeds. I can only get my boat to idle down to 3mph, so taking a tip I heard hear I put a small bucket tied to a rope out the back and that got me down to about 2.4mph. I still think I am too fast, but being new to this type of fishing I thought I would ask the experts. Any advice would be appreciated , thanks. By the way what a beautiful day to be on the lake today.

well the ideal speed is about 2.6-2.8mph...thats the most effective speed and will get you most species with that speed,when the fish are feeding heavily you can go as high as 3.5mph,but for trolling dipseys,meat rigs ,flys and spoons you will get kings,cohos,bows and browns now with flashers and dipseys with short leads you might stick with 2.8....but thats about the best overall speed hope this helps...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

This time of year usually 1.8-2.2mph works .But as the season gets going I would say 2.4 is the ideal speed that works for me.Dont forget today the lake was calm so when there is a little chop that will also slow you down.Dan :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Well like percher said this time of year trolling slow can be the key...in a week or so once the lake warms a little it will pick up big time...i rely on my thermal troll ...you can de doing 2.5 on the surface and depending on wind,current at 35-50 ft down your lure can be going 3.1 or reverse so there is several factors at work there but the speeds we both mentioned are all really good speeds...good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I don't think there is one, like the devil says you have to factor in currents. I usually check the lure action at the side of the boat, some spoons I have to speed up a bit and some fish sticks won't track well going fast. Sometimes take it up as fast as 6.

I had a guy tell me the current at salmon point would tie his riggers in a knot if he went too slow.

15mph just like the guy up at restoule does when trolling for muskie :thumbsup_anim:

how much will speed really effect how many fish you catch? i know large differences like 1-2mph might effect it but im wondering if 1/4 or 1/2 mph would make a difference. ive never trolled for salmon so im just a rookie asking questions here...