Question for Mercman

Peps

Mercman,

Our dryer is putting out some serious heat. It normally doesn't get very hot in our laundry room when it runs but the last couple of times it has been very warm in there. So could it be over heating? I have checked the vent hose and it is still attached.........

Peps

Definately!!!

Don't use it until you check the vent line as it could be blocked.

You might want to take the back off the dryer too to check for lint build up.

The last place I lived in I don't think they ever emptied the lint trap and there was nearly a full garbage bag worth of lint packed up inside the back of the dryer.

They do have a system in place that shuts doen the element if it gets too hot though.

You might check to see if the vent line has come loose as well. This would be dumping heat into the laundry room.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Check the vent for sure. I've come across vents that were completely plugged with lint and the loads took 4 hours to dry. Minimize, or eliminate any flex vent. They are the worst lint collecters. Run the entire vent system with either aluminum or galvanized pipe.

Normally there are thermostats that stop it from overheating.Even if the vent is blocked, the thermostat will stop the element from heating past a set safe temperature, usually around 220-240 degrees.Definately check the venting.Birds may have built a home in the end of the pipe. Detach the venting from the back of the dryer, and run it.If it still overheats, the problem is in the dryer itself.

Let me know make and model number.

yeah i have been to a few dryer fires, get that checked before you use it again, it may be just so dirty inside that there is no air movement, you may have to take the back off and have a good clean! i do that at least once a year!

yeah i have been to a few dryer fires, get that checked before you use it again, it may be just so dirty inside that there is no air movement, you may have to take the back off and have a good clean! i do that at least once a year!

Excellent advice. First thing is to disconnect the vent pipe at the back of the dryer. Run it and see if it still overheats.If it doesnt, then get a dryer vent cleaning brush the length of the vent and clean it really good, you have some kind of blockage.

Ok it's a Kenmore C84052 I will take the panel off tomorrow and have a look.

Thanks again guys

Peps

Its made by Frigidaire.The full model is 970-c84052-00 .Check the blower fan and housing.These are famous for lint build up and broken fans.