Towing vehicle suggestions

icefisherman

Just because you can carry two more bags of groceries in your Liberty doesn't quite elevate it to truck status. Is there perhaps some short comings in your life that you are compensating for?

I am sure the Rav is a fine vehicle but when it comes to this segment of the truck group the Liberty is more of a truck than the Rav is and of course that is IMHO!

As far as short comings in my life not sure but if I find one I`ll be sure to buy a Tundra!!! :sarcasm::rofl2:

Be careful of the Liberty as the tow rating is deceiving with that 5K limit....it requires the following....

Class III receiver hitch has a 2-inch opening and can handle loads of up to 5,000 pounds of gross trailer weight, if a trailer is equipped with a load-equalizing hitch. Check Owner's Manual for hitch types, load capacity and heavy-duty equipment required. Do not exceed rated tow capacity of vehicle as equipped. Towing may require some items not supplied by Mopar®.

Also at that weight you must have brakes on the trailer.

For me the Liberty is as close as I could come to the perfect tow vehicle in my price range and for what I am towing, my Stratos 176xt and the 75 Opti come in at 1600 lbs add all the other weight that goes into the equation and I am well under the 5000 Lbs.

If anybody is at the 5000 or close to it should not be talking about Liberties or Rav`s as tow vehicles!

I bought a new ram quad cab last Jan (with a 4.7 V8) and it gets the job done quite nicely. Towing my boat (which isn't as heavy as yours) makes a difference in mileage but it isn't a drastic difference, that I've noticed anyway. For $26,000 it's a pretty good deal.

Either way you're going to be shelling out a lot of money for gas while towing with these gas prices. Thankfully I live very close to work so I just walk there which gives me more money to tow the boat around. Gonefishing.gif

That TUNDRA truck is one fine sweet refined ride you got there......what year is your's....I got a '07 and it the best vehicle I have ever had....named my puppy after the truck....that's right....my chocolate lab is called TUNDRA The Queen of Labrador... :)

BTW...Icefishing guy....that RAV4 will treat you right, I'm sure.... :good::)

Mine's a 2010 Double Cab.

the 'ecoboost' ford i had mentioned earlier is now getting much better mileage. apparently programmed to eay fuel for the first 9000kms then it starts behaving itself...

so, i was critiquing the engine unfairly. be interested to hear what owners are saying about them.

Actually Smally they can be good on gas but it all depends on how you drive them.

I know 4 people who have these F150 ecoboost. 3 out of the 4 get between 9.5 to 10.5 litres per 100kms on the highway.Thats on cruise at 100kph they tend to hit the 13 litres per 100 in the city.One guy well he is just a lead foot!!!!!

I have the same motor in my 2011 Ford Taurus SEL minus the Turbos.If I drive on cruise on the highway at 100kph I get 8 litres per 100 very good mileage for a 4200 pound car.Much better than our Honda Odyssey.

If I drive the car slowly in the city I can average 11 to 12 litres per 100kms.Get aggressive with fast starts and high rpm's then my average goes to 13 or 14.

all depends on how one drives.Now I wonder how much a fiberglass box hinders the mileage?