Late Easter report

Jigger

Headed up to Haliburton last weekend, boat in tow and ready to fish some early season lakers. Got there midday Friday and launched the boat into some pretty breezy conditions. Expecting the fish to be shallow from the previous weeks reports, I was disappointed to find that was not the case. Not surprising, seeing as the water temps were closer to 40deg than they were to 50... Great first launch, though, its always a treat to get the boat on plane for the first time and feel all the winters tension melt away. Hung around for a little over an hour and basically washed lures the whole time. Ran into fishboy out on the water and he told me about his odd catch and we discussed further fishing opportunities and called it a day.

Woke up around 9ish Saturday morning and noticed that the wind had died compared to the day before. But the water temps hadn't, staying just above freezing. In fact, there was a small glaze on the bay that would break up and be gone before I got in the boat around 11 o'clock. Silly of me to wait that long. The winds that were gone, returned. I tried flatlining, jigging, countdowns... aside from a trio of bass that came on consecutive casts, the laker skunk remained. I really didn't want to leave the area that I got the bass from. The spot was a prime spring laker spot, and the winds were favourable for the deep jigging pattern I was sure would produce a good Grey. But I also knew that all I'd get at this spot would be bass, so I called it a day a few hours after launching. Some chores that afternoon kept me busy, and a nice roast beast and some bevvies that evening made for a great celebration. It was my Father-in-laws 60th birthday and we had a grand night on the lake.

Sunday morning I was up earlier, thinking the winds would behave much like they had Saturday morning. Sure enough, the skies were bright and calm. Perfect for the jigging pattern that I wanted to work on. I've never had too much success with jigging spoons for lakers, or anything else on open water for that matter. But those bass from the previous day had me in a positive frame of mind to start the day. Cruised to the area that fishboy had caught his walleye on and started getting some hooks on the screen. Came into a school of baitfish over 40fow and the finder was showing the trademark dashes that are lakers feeding on the baitfish. Dropped the big jigging spoon down and let it hit bottom. Dropped the rod tip and ripped the rod up to about 12oclock. Keeping a controlled decent back to the bottom, I could feel if a fish took the bait somewhere between the point where the jig stalled on the rise, to the point where it hit bottom again. After a few pops of the rod, I felt it. A little TICK right as the spoon stalled and had just started its descent. FISH ON! I was pretty pumped as this felt like a solid fish and a minute or two later, this chunky Grey made its way into the net. Pretty fishes, lakers are...

IMG_1110.jpg

Put her back to swim some more and moved back out to find the school and as soon as the marks started showing up, drop the spoon immediately and start all over again. Rip, settle, rip settle BANG!

Easy come...

IMG_1111.jpg

Easy go...

IMG_1114.jpg

The pattern was pretty simple. Find the school and drop the lure as soon as the marks appeared. Problem was, the school moved. Not just along the break, either. Up and down the break as well. One minute I'd jig in 40fow, then the school would be gone and I'd find it again in 50, then 60fow. The pattern also had its own wear on patience. Eyes glued to the sonar, the boat just zigzagging between 30-65fow for what seemed to be quite awhile, it would probably seem pretty boring for some. But it works. Another two under 20in within an hour were proof of that. They didn't want their pics taken and were promptly sent home. The winds started picking up again and made the drift unworkable, so I called it a day around noon and had a nap before heading home. Hope this weekend turns out to be as productive as last! Thanks for reading!

Great report and glad to see the persistence (and expertise) paid off. Look forward to seeing you out on the lake again

Dont know about expertise, but ill take a kind word anyday! Maybe we'll share a few casts...Thanks for the replies.

Atta boy Jarred. I fished lakers the last couple days up there and pounded them real good. We got them all trolling. Just flatlined a #7 taildancer, and trolled 1.5-2mph. They were smashing it hard! Loads of fun!!

S.

Thanks for the replies guys! Shane, i tried exactly what your saying, maybe different colour TD, but speed and technique were the same. What a difference a couple of days make!

EC, my best shallow action has been when the water was between 50-55deg.