Spring walleye / pike tactics

kenzy31

hey there fellow anglers! So we've decided on Rock Pine Resort in Point au Baril for the May 25-27 weekend. I'm looking for spring tactics for walleye and pike. I'm starting to stock up on tackle for the coming year and what better place to start than to get a shopping list from the crowd here? We're both top-water fanatics for bass and pike, so I'm thinking Zara Super Spooks, buzz baits, and slash baits for pike. Anything else that you guys see as a "must have" for spring pike? As for walleye, I've only been out twice for them and caught one 14" little guy. What tactics / baits would you recomend for these tasty guys?

Thanks,

Jesse & Jen :)

Don't worry about the topwaters. Husky jerks and smithwick rogues fished with a twitch-pause retrieve should find pike no problem. Try slow-trolling worm harnesses or artificals (small wablers/jointed floating raps) behind bottom bouncers until you locate fish, then jig either live bait like leeches or artificials like sassy shads once you know where they are. With this warm spring the walleyes should be hitting well and just about in summer mode by that time.

Paulspicture021.jpg

That was a long time ago at Rock Pine, mid summer. I never fished there before the Bass opener at the end of June. It`s been 25 years or so and I have no idea what the weed conditions are like in May.

Buzzbaits will work for bass and pike, but the action can be spotty, you get days where the action can be almost non stop and other days where the hits on them can be few and far between.

I used 7 inch floating Rapala`s a lot there, silver and black or perch finish, bass, pike, and walleye would take them. Johnson Silver minnow with a pork frog trailer worked thru the weeds and lilies, a jitterbug, plastic work Texas rigged for bass. Spinnerbaits, jig and pig.

The stuff mentioned by other will work for walleye, the key is locating them.

Edited by OhioFisherman

For the bottom bouncers, what length of lead to the lure and type/test of line would you recomend? Also, what weights of bouncers are ideal for 15-35 FOW?

I like at least 20" behind the bouncer, usually longer (especially since you will be in clear water). If you're trolling slow, 3/4 oz or even less will be fine. 3/4 is what i use well over half the time.

For the bottom bouncers, what length of lead to the lure and type/test of line would you recomend? Also, what weights of bouncers are ideal for 15-35 FOW?

I will shorten my lead (16-22 inches) if the area is more snaggy but usually 2-3 feet is the norm for me. There is just about no limit to what you can use, and what will work, behind a bb. Minnow baits, spoons, harnesses or just bait and a hook. The weight really depends on the speed that you are covering water versus the depth. Some bottom bouncers now have a quick change weight option, or you can use a 3 way rig and use a snap on the dropper so that you can easy/quickly change weights.

I will shorten my lead (16-22 inches) if the area is more snaggy but usually 2-3 feet is the norm for me. There is just about no limit to what you can use, and what will work, behind a bb. Minnow baits, spoons, harnesses or just bait and a hook. The weight really depends on the speed that you are covering water versus the depth. Some bottom bouncers now have a quick change weight option, or you can use a 3 way rig and use a snap on the dropper so that you can easy/quickly change weights.

I prefer that method, just tying the weight with a double overhand knot, if you lose anything, it's just the weight.

Good tip kickingfrog.

I would think the 3 way rig would tend to get all twisted up and tangled?? Or am I wrong... What about dragging around a drop shot rig when using crawlers or minnows? Just a thought...

I've never had a problem with twisting. I use them while drifting or trolling. The lead off the back acts a bit like a tail on a kite I guess. Casting would likely cause it to get tanged, but people do cast 3 way rigs in current. A drop shot set up could be used as well.

hey there fellow anglers! So we've decided on Rock Pine Resort in Point au Baril for the May 25-27 weekend. I'm looking for spring tactics for walleye and pike. I'm starting to stock up on tackle for the coming year and what better place to start than to get a shopping list from the crowd here? We're both top-water fanatics for bass and pike, so I'm thinking Zara Super Spooks, buzz baits, and slash baits for pike. Anything else that you guys see as a "must have" for spring pike? As for walleye, I've only been out twice for them and caught one 14" little guy. What tactics / baits would you recomend for these tasty guys?

Thanks,

Jesse & Jen :)

..was there last year in June, did well with the worm harnesses for walleye..check out the Shawaniga river..short boat ride from Rock Pine, also along the main channel, seen a few nice walleye in there too. Good Luck post a few photos!-skdds

..was there last year in June, did well with the worm harnesses for walleye..check out the Shawaniga river..short boat ride from Rock Pine, also along the main channel, seen a few nice walleye in there too. Good Luck post a few photos!-skdds

When I fish Georgian Bay (not too far from pointe au baril), 1/4 oz jigs tipped with 3 in gulp twisters and half a worm, and worm harnesses/lindy rigs are the ticket. When the fish are finicky, the worm harness will outproduce the jig. The bait stays in the strike zone longer and it is a more subtle approach in cold front conditions. Use a 1/4 oz sliding sinker to get it down near the bottom. If fish are suspended, thread a simple float onto the leader to allow it to rise in the water column.

A Strom Thin Fin is a great trolling search bait for me to locate walleyes. There is something about that profile that walleyes like. You can troll them in really shallow water effectively. Sometimes I place a small split shot about 18 in above the bait to get it down a little deeper. Rapalas are also a great choice to troll. One final tip: almost 95% of the walleyes I catch are in 5-20 ft of water. If I'm at a depth greater than 22 feet, I pick up and move. pay attention too to all the shoals. Trolling and drifting along the outside edges will produce nice straggler walleyes.

Best of luck to you.

Some great tips in here guys, thank you tons! Really looking forward to this trip and these tips are getting me pumped that I can put together a couple good days. Lots of variety to the suggestions so I'll work hard to find a pattern with what you guys are sharing. Great stuff :)

Jesse