Point And Shoot Digital Cameras

solopaddler

My good digital is now on the bottom of the Grand River in Dunnville (don't ask :whistling: )

Been researching cameras today as I need another one asap.

Can anyone recommend one in particular and if so why?

After some brief research the Canon S100 looks pretty good, does anyone have this one?

Im asking.It,s got to be a great story Mike. :sarcasm:

I,m still using my FE-20 Olympus for my fishing/hunting trips.If it went to the bottom of the river,I would find something that was more water friendly.

Here is a story,possibly fiction and possibly fact:

One day two men and a boy went fishing together and were having a wonderful time, no fish were to be seen, except for some that decided to flip their middle fin at the trio. One of the trio is a well respected outdoors-man and fisherman. The other two members of the trio can be described as wanting and willing to learn from the master. truth be told, one of the members has the advantage of many more years of training ahead of him, the last member of the trio, well he can be described as having more horsepower than brains.

This horsepower comes into play as a possible explanation of the loss of the camera. The theory being put forward can be explained by physics. When air travels over a surface that has a protuberance it will create what is called uplift, and the greater the wind speed, the greater the lift.

One of these individuals that makes up the trio, deals with this issue in his daily work designing assemblies that are placed on the rooftops of buildings. He should have know better that to create the amount of lift required to vacuum a relatively lightweight piece of equipment off the deck of a boat. The key wind speed in this case happened to be 47 MPH - coincidently the speed of the boat over the water at the time of the alleged incident.

This is merely one theory that is being postulated as an explanation for the loss of the said camera.

So OFC fact or fiction????

Currently Canon I would say have the best technology. I run a research group and we have some very high end cameras ($10K cost) and canons just dump on the other brands for quality of image. Sony's cybershot was good, but because they had Carl Zeiss lenses (Zeiss manufacture microscopes so lenses are their business). They lost that deal with Zeiss and the cameras are now crap. They bumped up the pixel level to compensate, but the new cybershots suck.

You cannot go wrong with any Canon quite frankly, but for the price, the PowerShot ELPH 300 HS is a great camera. The photos are awesome, and I use the camera to tape concerts and the videos are excellent. It also has better sound capability which may not be a dealbreaker for you. It also has optical and digital zoom, tons of presets for different conditions, and it nice and compact.

Edited by Dutchy

One thing to consider - which I learned by accident this fall - is that cameras with an automatic lens cap (like the Canon SX series) can have issues if the slightest grain of sand or dirt gets into the mechanism that opens up the lens cap. There are ways of fixing it of course, but none of the methods apply in the field.

I had real issues with this last fall, when a fish kicked up some sand into the lens of my Canon SX120, and despite my best efforts at cleaning the actual cap, it still sticks and I always have to make sure that it doesn't mess up the edges of my shots.

Most of the waterproof cams won't have this issue - but most of the pocket super zooms will. So, if you get one - they're great, but very delicate.

Another option is to go old school... you can find old, working condition cameras on Kijiji and Ebay for prices that make accidents less painful.

I recently revived and refitted my old Minolta Z1, which still has one of the better CCD's imo - although it's only got 3.2 megapixels. You once referred to this camera as a "beast" ;)- but I have no fear for this camera falling in the water.

p.-

Mike I would not go past Canon on Panasonic. Had Sony too but never has as good results. I am currently using a Panasonic Lumix DMC and it probably the best picture (for a dummy like me) that I have seen.

Check out comparisons here www.dpreview.com

John

Edited by John

I'm chiming in a little late on this one, but, I love my little Nikon p & s...less than $120, and, takes great shots. Pretty much any of the shots of Juli in my reports are taken with it...she uses the much more expensive Canon SLR for hers.