Anyone have experience in a travel power transformer

Bondar

i 'm looking for a step down transformer for a upcoming trip , i know nothing about these things and im afraid to buy a cheapo and have it fry all my electronics

i need to go from Cuban 220v down to 110v , something for charging cameras and stuff like that , anyone have a brand or something they have used without issues?

thanks for any help

Most chargers these days do it automatically... have a look at your units.

Also send your resort an email.. most facilities.. even though the power of choice is 220 have the rooms wired with conventional 110 plugs... and if not all at least the shaver plug in the bathroom with be transformered to 110.

Edited by irishfield

agree with Wayne, look at the fine print of your electricals. Most are dual voltage and do away with the need to get a step down transformer but you may still need adapters for the outlets however.

btw, I thought an OFCN member recently went down to Cuba ? they would have up to date info.

Edited by woodenboater

I've been travelling to the Carib and places beyond since 1989. Have always had a voltage conversion kit with me and the only place I ever used anything was in St. Marteen in 1990.. being a plug converter and even then my battery charger was good to go on 220 volts for my JVC video camera.

Thanks guys , ill have a look at my chargers and go from there , I have been there before but didn't charge anything cause I was told not to . But ill be gone for 2 weeks this time and I just wanted to be prepared

Was in Veradero a couple years ago and didn't take my step-down converter with me ... honestly don't even recall if it was actually 220V .. but we had no issues with the phones/cameras/video (iphone, blackberry etc) ... but I don't think the Mrs' brought her blow dryer .. most places nowadays provide that stuff in the room.

Did Portugal last year for 16 days and Wayne is right, check the back of your chargers and laptop are dual voltage just needed the adapter for the plug. However you would need a converter for a blow dryer or hair straightener for any ladies that may be going. We actually just bought a cheap blow dryer and hair straightner in Portugal when we got there instead of burning out her expensive units from home, it won't take much to burn out the motor/heating elements on those if you don't get an adequate wattage rating on the coverter as heat producing devices have very high ratings. Most hotel rooms have built in hair dryers but be careful of a hair straightner for the ladies.

Edited by express168