Cannon MAG10HS downrigger

icefisherman

Hi Guys,

I have two of the MAG10HS electric riggers on my boat for the past 4 years or so and have been very happy with them so far...just noticed one of them having some clutch issue though.

When lowering the weight to the desired depth manually and then trying to tight the clutch knob the spool slips a bit until I tie it very hard...wondering if there is a way to adjust the clutch tension myself without having to send the rigger all the way to North Bay (this is where Cannon's service center is located)...it won't be cheap for this massive thing, fast nor practical considering the down time...much prefer to fix it myself if at all possible.

Would appreciate some step by step instructions on how to do it if someone has done it before?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Hy Guys,

I have two of the MAG10HS electric riggers on my boat for the past 4 years or so and have been very happy with them so far...just noticed one of them having some clutch issue though.

When lowering the weight to the desired depth manually and then trying to tight the clutch knob the spool slips a bit until I tie it very hard...wondering if there is a way to adjust the clutch tension myself without having to send the rigger all the way to North Bay (this is where Cannon's service center is located)...it won't be cheap for this massive thing, fast nor practical considering the down time...much prefer to fix it myself if at all possible.

Would appreciate some step by step instructions on how to do it if someone has done it before?

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

If you take the knob off there is a hardened washer that I am sure has been eroded by the ball bearing mechanism used to tighten the clutch. Look up the part on the schematic available for your downrigger at fish307.com and call the service centre in NB or order online the part that you need. SHould not be very expensive.

You guys are priceless, seriously...yet to see a problem I have that someone here could not help resolving.

I went unscreweded the knob...not one, not two but three washers came out...with middle one looking interesting, it is a red one hardened plastic with bearing balls mounted on the perifery...see thhe photos bellow.

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

You can clearly see the deep groves formed on the metal washers on the second photo. Obviously those will need replacement. But can I not turn the metal washer around and use them that way while waiting for the new ones to arrive? Also do I order just the two metal washers or the red one with the bearing balls as well? By the way I've checked my other rigger as well and although not as bad as this one it has also formed groves just not as deep yet. So this must be normal wear and tear I guess and regular washer replacement required?

Looking at this link (thanks for it):

http://www.fish307.com/productimages/cannon/parts/Mag10HSdia_lg.jpg

I guess I'll need to order parts: 40 and 41, right?

Thanks for your help guys!

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Those washers are wear parts and if you are using the knob to lower the cannonball they will wear out more quickly. Just buy 2 or 3 sets of part 40 and you'll be set and have a spare. No need to get part 41 as it looks fine. If you were to flip the washers they may work briefly but when they cut through your cannonball will drop a 1000ft a minute with no way to stop it :). Don't do it! Hope this helped

Kingsalmon is correct,

Replace those metal washers, you can replace the bearing washer too if you wish, they are not much $$

Put a light coating of grease on the bearing washer when putting it back togather,

I wouldn't use the clutch knob to lower the weight all the time

I may have caused much of that wear on the washers as I always lower my rigger manually, thinking I am saving my battery that way....may start using the motors for the lowering as well from now on.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I lower them with the clutch too Emil. Did it with the manuals... why wouldn't I do it with the electrics. Just so much quicker and slicker. Maybe I'd better order some spares....

That is how I started and learned the bad habit Wayne. Used to have manuals for a while and kept doing it the same way on the way down with electrics...I'd say get some extra washers just in case as it is matter of time before you'll need them based on what I see with mine. I'll order few sets of washers from North Bay tomorrow. Pretty smart setup actually as I think about it, since washers are cheap to replace and avoid any major repairs that way.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Well, spoke to George from North Bay Distributors today....several times in fact....he said the problem with slipping is not due to the washers on the knob side....suggested maybe the clutch pad...opened the whole gear/motor assembly...jammed with grease in there....got to the clutch pad...nothing wrong with it...sent pictures to George he agreed...told me to clean and scratch with sand paper the two stainless washers and the clutch pad...did that...put it all back together...no difference, same problem again...he suggested sending it to him....bulky/heavy and expensive to ship and I'll need to pay both ways shipping, or take it to Short Wave in Mississauga. Been there before but didn't know Bill repairs Cannon riggers...I guess he does though not officially as authorized Cannon service centre....soooooooo.....not sure what to do now....both places have out 2 weeks backlog...but if it goes to North Bay it'll be another 10 days in shipping on top of it.,...When I saw what is inside there is nothing really that complicated to be causing this much of a problem so can't figure out what they can do differently....

Does anyone know if Bill at Short Wave is really good with repairing those riggers? I may take it there tomorrow morning and see what he says before deciding to leave it there and take my chances or to ship it to George in North Bay and wait longer/pay more...

Any suggestions?

Icefisherman, when you test your cannon can you describe what is happening. For example, you tighten the clutch knob as tight as you can, then what is happening when the downrigger is slipping? Ie is the knob and reel turning, or only the reel. I'll try to help you figure this out.

Icefisherman, when you test your cannon can you describe what is happening. For example, you tighten the clutch knob as tight as you can, then what is happening when the downrigger is slipping? Ie is the knob and reel turning, or only the reel. I'll try to help you figure this out.

Well I'll try...

When tightening the knob as hard as possible the spool is still turning although it shouldn't do that...at the same time I can also see the axle is spinning as well i.e. they are spinning together....George had me checked that to make sure the small screw located in the bottom of the spool has not come loose...By the way the knob is not turning at all when the spool/axle is....

Under the same conditions and with much less tightening force my other rigger is not turning at all....so there is an obvious problem , just can't find where it is....hope this gives you better idea...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Well I'll try...

When tightening the knob as hard as possible the spool is still turning although it shouldn't do that...at the same time I can also see the axle is spinning as well i.e. they are spinning together....George had me checked that to make sure the small screw located in the bottom of the spool has not come loose...By the way the knob is not turning at all when the spool/axle is....

Under the same conditions and with much less tightening force my other rigger is not turning at all....so there is an obvious problem , just can't find where it is....hope this gives you better idea...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

If the knob is not turning at all when the spool and axle are then it is not the clutch. If it was the clutch, the knob would be turning with the reel. Let me take a look at mine and I'll get back to you

Agree with you about the clutch...it is logical based on what I saw in the gear box today....

Stonefish, just went and swaped the washers from the "good" rigger to the "bad" one....no improvement on the "bad" one....still slipping....

this thing is a real puzzle for sure....

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman