No Ice Fishing For Trout In 07

outahere

:angry: I have not been on the board for a while so this topic may have already been covered. Just talked to an outfitter that says under the new regulations(when they come out in 07) you will only be able to ice fish for trout in Southern Ontario (Trout Creek is now the boundary for S. Ontario) in lakes that have been stocked. All other lakes will be closed to ice fishing for trout. Season will open with May 1st weekend...close Sept. 30 In his district that ment you could fish in over 20 lakes, but now the MNR has announced that they are cutting back on stocking trout and only 6 lakes will be open in the Sundridge area! :angry:

Yep...It's what I keep repeating here...but pretty sure there will a month from Feb 15 to Mar 15 that you'll be able to fish for Lakers (like Lake Temagami has been for about a decade). If the lake has been stocked in the last couple years you will be able to fish it all winter...but if not Feb 15 to Mar 15 only.

Hopefully for those that want to fish this winter...the regs will be 4 months late coming out (and possibly part of why they are late coming out...simply to buy another year before the protests really start)

Edited by irishfield

Fishindevil....it will apply to all of S. Ontario. If you like ice fishing for trout, you had better start making noise now. If it passes like this....it will be too late. The MNR says their mandate is to manage the fishery. Why should only summer fishermen have access to the trout. There is no "one month fishing" in the pending regulations. The MNR claims ice fishermen are responsible for releasing undesireable species into the lakes (minnows). Thats why they want the winter season closed.

I think your outfitter is slightly misinformed Earl. The meetings I sat thru in Temagami this spring/summer stated what I have typed. If you didn't speak out over the last year or so of public input....you're a day late and Laker short of doing anything about it.

Like Darryl Choronzey says...how do you get 4 MNR biologists in a boat? Offer a free trip and the case of beer.

Doesn't matter what season or species you are after...anglers use minnows caught in other water bodies to fish with

HA! "Why should only summer fishermen have access to trout". It's much harder to locate and coax mid-summer trout than in winter, and spawning seasons in still-waters are still fairly protected. And if the MNR makes the claim about dumping unwanted species, shouldn't we respect that?