Lake Trout and Sucker Meat

4x4bassin

I have a backwoods trip planned for May to my favorite lake trout lake and i'm starting to plan/gather things now . A couple weeks

ago I salted up about 75 shinners (they turned out good) but there seems to be alot of info. on the web about using sucker meat !

I do alot of jigging so I was thinking what would be best to put on the bucktail , salted shinner or some sucker .

All I can think of is that the sucker is a bit more oily giving off a good scent trail but not sure . Is it worth taking up some sucker

strips as well .

We have good luck with the shinners but just looking for some more ideas from the board . Any one use sucker meat for lake trout ?

Thanks

While I haven't used sucker when jigging for lakers, I do tip my jigs in the summer with 2" Berkley Gulp minnows and it works. Usually jigging with bad boy type lures, Never really had the need to tip any spoons.

I have fished with some older gents on temagami who tip there spoons and jigs with the Uncle Josh ripple rinds, not sure if you can get those anymore but I saw lakers caught on that

Over the years I've had good success with sucker meat--incl jigging

I would freeze the suckers whole---take em out couple hours before use----find a rock before you launch

carve into chunks---scales skin--l'il guts and all---all makes a great scent trail