Ice floe trollers on Simcoe have to pay up...

Harrison

People were sitting at home on their computers all winter long saying stay off the ice. The news shows where a creek goes into the lake and says " stay off the ice" They had no clue what they were talking about without actually going out there on the ice to find out. I was fishing where it broke off a couple days before that and the ice was alright. I was on 5" of ice and there were lots of people around. I actually woke up that morning to go out but said "SCREW- THAT" , the wind was blowing hard and straight up the bay and it would be stupid to be out there because you could tell that it could break off and float away. It was all the wind it wasnt the ice. Even on those little ice thickness cards they tell you that safe ice for walking is 4" clear ice. Im related to one guy that got rescued and know quite a few others and they were STUPID for being out there with that WIND not because of the ice thickness. I bet every ice fisherman in here has fished on ice that was thinner than the ice they were on just without the crazy wind.

So the main lake basin not being frozen and people being 100yrds away from open water had nothing to do with it? It was all the winds fault? :whistling:

So really...the township has passed a law against stupid?

Come on people...how much are we going to let government get away with.

All of our tax dollars paid for that rescue.

This is just double billing.

If there is no crime, there is no fine.

So the main lake basin not being frozen and people being 100yrds away from open water had nothing to do with it? It was all the winds fault? :whistling:

Sure there were SOME people being idiots that close to the open water but it broke off almost a KM from the open water. I hope that you werent on simcoe where you took your pic for that funny fishing pic contest. On another site a guy was Fishing on 2" of ice at the first of the year and the next day the ice was gone and he is praised a fishing god. Ironically he was one of the first to call these people stupid that were on 5 inches or more. I have seen quite a few posts of people ice fishing with open water in the background. If there was no wind that day there would not have been a rescue. OR if they had enough common sense to stay home because of the WIND there wouldnt have been a rescue either ... Im just tired of hearing everyone saying that there was warnings all winter about the ice so nobody should have been out there. ICE IS NEVER SAFE and you have to use your own judgement as to what is safe conditions or not.

Sure there were SOME people being idiots that close to the open water but it broke off almost a KM from the open water. I hope that you werent on simcoe where you took your pic for that funny fishing pic contest. On another site a guy was Fishing on 2" of ice at the first of the year and the next day the ice was gone and he is praised a fishing god. Ironically he was one of the first to call these people stupid that were on 5 inches or more. I have seen quite a few posts of people ice fishing with open water in the background. If there was no wind that day there would not have been a rescue. OR if they had enough common sense to stay home because of the WIND there wouldnt have been a rescue either ... Im just tired of hearing everyone saying that there was warnings all winter about the ice so nobody should have been out there. ICE IS NEVER SAFE and you have to use your own judgement as to what is safe conditions or not.

I fished Simcoe this year maybe 3-4 times... Ice was way to dicey in a lot of places for me to bother. That pic was actually from the Muskokas... Lots of ice up there this year (In certain places)

so whats next...

your kid breaks his leg skateboarding... now you pay the bill... skateboarding is dangerous...

you break your arm downhill skiing... now you pay the bill... skiing is dangerous...

you get t boned at an intersection by a drunk driver...now you pay the bill...driving is dangerous...

your house burns down cause of a grease fire...now you pay the fire dept bill... deep frying is dangerous...

we all do things in life that are considered dangerous to some extent... think about what something like this could start...this is the opening the government needs to start making us pay for all the services our taxes are supposed to pay for...

people can smoke cigarets for 50 years and then our taxes pay for the health care they require... now that is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and there are warnings on the package that state that smoking causes cancer and other health issues... but every time a lifetime smoker goes to the hospital..the cost isnt splattered all over the news...and his bills get paid by the taxes we pay...

i tried to avoid this one but i had to say my 2 cents...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

mike,

you miss the fact that search and rescue employees risk THEIR lives to rescue these idiots. it's a stupid and selfish choice to go on unsafe ice, putting yourself and OTHERS at risk, while also costing a LOT of money.

and i don't disagree with the smokers thing. i think smokers should pay EVEN MORE tax on their death sticks.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

So really...the township has passed a law against stupid?

Come on people...how much are we going to let government get away with.

All of our tax dollars paid for that rescue.

This is just double billing.

If there is no crime, there is no fine.

Not really a fine, just a helicopter ride. A tax payer has to pay for a ride in an ambulance so why not a helicopter or an air boat?

mike,

you miss the fact that search and rescue employees risk THEIR lives to rescue these idiots. it's a stupid and selfish choice to go on unsafe ice, putting yourself and OTHERS at risk, while also costing a LOT of money.

and i don't disagree with the smokers thing. i think smokers should pay EVEN MORE tax on their death sticks.

so firefighters dont risk anything when they save you from your burning house?

we dont pay the bill for the day for that...

and just so we are clear... i do think it was stupid to be out in those conditions...

Edited by Musky Mike

since everyone wants a user pay system in place, i guess i should expect a check for the taxeds i paid that purchased the helo's boats trucks and training and provided there paycheques as well?

this is what we pay for and if the people were stupid to bad one day it may be you that needs rescuing then you'll be whining about it on OFC.........

mike,

and you said it...EMPLOYEE...they get paid to do it

and the Helicopter ride is crap too...we shouldn't have to pay for an ambulance ride...next think you know we will have to pay for eye exams

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

so firefighters dont risk anything when they save you from your burning house?

we dont pay the bill for the day for that...

i think in order for this analogy to be accurate you'd have to be doing something extremely selfish and dangerous to ignite the fire....

such as burning garbage in the yard on a windy day and it sets the house on fire...

in which case, yes, i'd also think they should pay for the fire suppression costs...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

and you said it...EMPLOYEE...they get paid to do it

most search and rescue are volunteers are they not? our local search and rescue is and they work on a very specific budget.

i think in order for this analogy to be accurate you'd have to be doing something extremely selfish and dangerous to ignite the fire....

such as burning garbage in the yard on a windy day and it sets the house on fire...

in which case, yes, i'd also think they should pay for the fire suppression costs...

Totally legal if you have a burning permit, which you pay for

and you pay for a fishing license as well so why can't you go fishing

What if you slip on a rock in the rapids and need rescue

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it is my understanding of our bylaws that burning is supposed to be done during specific hours of the day (morning and night), and not in dry or windy conditions. same in the bush. i know a man who was charged the cost of fire suppression by the mnr for starting a brush fire. i say he deserved it.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

p.s. i do have to pay for my eye exams. hahahaha

I know...but you never did till they decided that it was going to cost extra, but taxes didn't go down...pretty soon you will pay for yearly medical exams

Edited by Dara

it is my understanding of our bylaws that burning is supposed to be done during specific hours of the day (morning and night), and not in dry or windy conditions. same in the bush. i know a man who was charged the cost of fire suppression by the mnr for starting a brush fire. i say he deserved it.

Actually, membership in OFAH has insurance to cover such costs, fire and rescue, etc

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Actually, membership in OFAH has insurance to cover such costs, fire and rescue, etc

is that where their fees go? :whistling:

they don't get my money anymore given that they haven't done anything about the crown land access rights issue... that's a different can of worms though!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

is that where their fees go? :whistling:

they don't get my money anymore given that they haven't done anything about the crown land access rights issue... that's a different can of worms though!

Its all the same can of worms...government control of us and our money.

You ever see Mcguinty change his mind on anything....cept no new taxes

well... i think you should pack your bags and move to another country... cause you dont sound very canadian to me...

we are a country that sticks together and pays taxes to provide services for people that otherwise may not be able to afford them... no matter what decisions they make in life canadians should know they have help...without a bill waiting for them in the end... peoples circumstances can change...one day your on top and dont need the governments help...the next you realize how happy you are that your government has your back...and the taxes you and others in your community paid have your back...

the world is a messed up place but i like the fact that the people making the big bucks and paying lots of tax dollars are helping to support the poor when they need it...

it sucks that some feel this is a license to be stupid and leech off of the system... but i dont want to have to pay for a rescue down the road that was truly unforeseen...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

truly unforeseen...

that begs the question as to whether what happened to them was unforeseen...

there's a difference between getting caught in an unfortunate circumstance and putting yourself in one.

if that makes me "un-canadian" then so be it. i'm moving to Logic-istan.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

that begs the question as to whether what happened to them was unforeseen...

there's a difference between getting caught in an unfortunate circumstance and putting yourself in one.

if that makes me "un-canadian" then so be it. i'm moving to Logic-istan.

You can't ride a bike without a helmet

You can't drive a car without a seatbelt.

All kinds of safety laws and you have to pay a fine if you don't follow one of them

You have just witnessed the first regulation against stupid.

You live in the country that did it.

Be very very carefull what you do from now on

Edited by Dara