need an outboard guy

krixxer

My first boat, so I'm a novice at this. I'm located in Mississauga and have an 88 evinrude 50hp that I'd like to have looked over.

Some of the problems:

Last year I lost reverse, the engine just revs up but the gear does not seem to engage.

Choke needs adjustment plates don't open all the way. Makes cold starts a pain.

Carbs likely need a good clean out, doubt the last guy spend much time on maintenance.

Any local guys that you could suggest would be great.

I'd be happy to barter - I have a paint/anodizing shop.... will paint just about anything

Kris

My first boat, so I'm a novice at this. I'm located in Mississauga and have an 88 evinrude 50hp that I'd like to have looked over.

Some of the problems:

Last year I lost reverse, the engine just revs up but the gear does not seem to engage.

Choke needs adjustment plates don't open all the way. Makes cold starts a pain.

Carbs likely need a good clean out, doubt the last guy spend much time on maintenance.

Any local guys that you could suggest would be great.

I'd be happy to barter - I have a paint/anodizing shop.... will paint just about anything

Kris

MY FIRST THOUGHTS ON THIS ARE YOU MAY GET INTO SOME AMOUNT OF MONEY SO BE CAREFULL NOT TO OVERSPEND THE VALUE OF A GOOD WORKING USED ONE. THINGS CAN GET OUT OF HAND VERY FAST AND SOMEONE WILL BE THERE TO TAKE YOU MONEY...I WOULD CHECK AROUND FOR A USED WORKING ONE FIRST AND GET AN IDEA OF A PRICE. MY 2 CENTS..rolleyes.gif

When you say you lost reverse, is this a boat with a steering wheel and remote throttle? In other words, are you sure this isn't simply a cable adjustment issue? Second, regarding running rough, are you running a fresh gas/oil mix and have you tried any carb cleaner products? How about new plugs?

I have a 1985 50 Johnson VRO outboard and it still runs like a top....they built good motors back then IMHO...Your motor should be almost exactly the same....

First you mention the choke plate....this motor has a manual choke on the inside of the cowling but I have NEVER had to use it......as this motor has a direct primer where raw gas is shot into the cylinders when you push on the key while it's turned.....so I have to ask you to explain what you mean that the choke plates don't open all the way...... :dunno:

Doubleheader explained that you might just need a cable/linkage adjustment for your reverse gear to fully engage....

As far as a good carb cleaning on that engine....take it to someone that knows what they are doing....as I believe the 1988 models had fixed jets and cannot be adjusted.... :wallbash:

Is this (it should be if it's a 50hp and not marked a 48hp model) VRO engine where it has a remote (1.8 gallons) oil tank for the oil injection ? ? ?

Brobeil Marine on Niagara Street in Buffalo is a VERY honest dealer but that's a bit far for you...

Call Stu at Stu's Marine in Oakville on Speers Rd. just w of third line south side in behind main buildings.

Solid guy, trustworthy and has been in business forever.

905-469-8515

Took an '05 225 Optimax to him a few years back. He had done all types of small stuff for me until one day I brought him my dead opti. As soon as he diagnosed it, told me to take to authorized dealer as was still under warranty (bot in U.S.). Didn't charge me...even directed me away from one marina advising against their service despite being an authorized dealer.

What a busy day! didn't get a chance to get back to this till now. - thanks for the tips -

Yes I think it is a cable issue. This is my first boat (cheep) it was in bad shape so my first boating experience a full dismantle re-build and reassembly. I think something is just out of adjustment but this year I just don't have the spare time to try and figure things out for myself.