Mitchell 300

paul_614

Old ones have France or made in France marked on them. I am not positive on dating them, in the mid to late 70`s or perhaps the early 80`s they started making them in Japan.

Try here.

http://users.skynet.be/mitchell-collectors.org/articles_datingmitchell.html

Edited by OhioFisherman

Paul I have 2 Mitchells, 1 is a 300 (right hand retreive) & the other is a 301 left hand retreive. I have owned them since the mid 60's. I paid $18.00 for the 300 & $26.00 for the 301. To my recollection the shape (body) of the 2 models never changed. Having said that, it would be hard to determine an exact age. I used a 300 as early as 1960 & the foot print never changed. I'm left handed, so at that time I casted with my left hand, then switched the rod over to my right hand & had to retreive with my left hand. Then they came out with the 301 woo hoo!, I could now cast & not switch the rod to the other hand in order to retreive. The 2 I have were made in France, have metal gears & I have the extra spool with both. Post a pic, it would be interesting to see if yours look like mine.

I also had one of the Mitchel 300 reels back in the sixties. That and an original Cardinal 4 were the only reels with the guts to hold a fresh run salmon or large rainbow back then. The one big complaint with the Mitchel was the bail spring. You always needed to carry a spare or two with you. It got to the point where I could change a weak spring in under 5 minutes, in the low light conditions of a fall morning.

I have heard that a good French model will get upwards of $100.00 The Cardinal can go for well above $400.

I also had one of the Mitchel 300 reels back in the sixties. That and an original Cardinal 4 were the only reels with the guts to hold a fresh run salmon or large rainbow back then. The one big complaint with the Mitchel was the bail spring. You always needed to carry a spare or two with you. It got to the point where I could change a weak spring in under 5 minutes, in the low light conditions of a fall morning.

I have heard that a good French model will get upwards of $100.00 The Cardinal can go for well above $400.

Unfortunately the one made in Taiwan is not worth very much and the French 300 although sexy was still mass produced and widely collected. As Tom states it is still worth a few bucks and if you search eBay you'll get a good sense of it's value. Tom is also correct on the bulletproof Cardinals (3 & 4's) which are my current object of desire…

Abus.jpg

mitchell-1.jpg

003-4.jpg

marked made in Taiwan on the reel seat.

004-3.jpg

marked made in France on the reel body and spool

That first one is definately an 80's model. I had one back then, actually still have it... Not really a collectors item.

The second one looks like a 300 from there ninth version series circa 1977-79. The more collectable ones are like the one Walleye Wanderer posted with the round body. They date back from the 50's all the way up to the mid 60's. Back then a couple of reel companys out of europe were doing this body style of reel. Crack/Luxor and Mitchel. These reels allowed for a larger main gear and a more powerful reel in my opinion. Van Stall and Zee Bass both copied these reel because of the power the main gear would afford as well as the simplicity involved in producing the housing. You could strip one of these down in your truck and be back out fishing in 20 minutes. These reels are TANKS!!! A lot of surf guys down here in NY still use these reels today. I have 2 luxors, a 300 and a 200 size as well as a Crack 100. Open them up and pack em with grease and do all the swimming you want with these reels. Like I said... they're tanks!

FHR

I have a 60's model.

First and only rod and reel outfit my dad bought me. I think it was my 12fth birthday

The only mark on it is my initials scratched in because I was going on a school field trip and wanted to take my fishing stuff with me. Ended up with a few creek specs that day.

Its sitting tucked away in my shop and will stay there.

It came from Pollocks down on Queen or Dundas. We still have a few lure boxes sitting around with that name on them as well.