Conservatives are poised to strip the Fisheries Act of habitat-protection

Hoppy

very disappointed that democratic conversations on politics were locked. the conservatives would be very proud of OFC for their first rate censorship.

From the rules..... "Troublemakers will be warned and then if that doesn't work, placed on a Mod Queue"

Consider yourself warned!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as stated, i don't feel political discourse is trouble making and i mean that as respectfully as possible.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

The same change in regs will be used to force a new deep water harbour at essar steel here in sault ste. marie.

the deep water harbour is UPSTREAM of the st. mary's rapids and dredged sediments are going to unleash a wall of contaminants (such as hydrocarbons) on the river...

this isn't just about the west coast, it's about industry located on water everywhere in the country. mining and petroleum are already insanely profitable even in tough economic times and don't require further restructuring to the EA process. these companies can afford whatever "obstacles" proper environmental assessment requires.

The same change in regs will be used to force a new deep water harbour at essar steel here in sault ste. marie.

the deep water harbour is UPSTREAM of the st. mary's rapids and dredged sediments are going to unleash a wall of contaminants (such as hydrocarbons) on the river...

this isn't just about the west coast, it's about industry located on water everywhere in the country. mining and petroleum are already insanely profitable even in tough economic times and don't require further restructuring to the EA process. these companies can afford whatever "obstacles" proper environmental assessment requires.

If they get permission to dredge the approach and dock at Essar (as proposed when I was working on the river) I will be shocked. It is a Federally designated contaminated site, plus 2 engineering reports highlight the futility of silt curtains for containment in that area. What a circus that will lead to. I sure hope someone will be taking some intensive water samples during construction....wait budgets forced MOE to sell their boat....

Its nice to have a deep water port installed when river levels currently prevent ships from carrying full capacity.

Want a scary example of a proposed project that will benefit greatly from this change in the Fishery Regs? Read up on the Mary River Mine Project on North Baffin Island....seems like leaving a barge full of diesel fuel to overwinter in an area of highly mobile pack ice is a good idea?? Good thing they have great ways to contain oilspills under the ice....oh wait.

Jobs obviously are needed, but gutting the mandate of a Govt Dept and then gutting said Dept to increase jobs in another sector is not the way to go about it.

I just do not understand when the Gov't says that all of this will create jobs...last I checked the oil companies and whatnot were pocketing MILLIONS....I haven't heard of them making huge investments in people and hiring more and more people, just them bringing in more profit for the elite few who get their million + dollar bonuses. By cutting all of this the only thing that will happen, IMO, will be the owners getting more money but not a proportional increase in workers.

I think we need a long term plan, which is not around. When will someone get a leader who can see past 4 years and plan accordingly. Annd I don't mean Harper's "we'll do that in 2020" plan because even he knows he won't be here at that point. I'm hopefull they lose the next election, problem is I don't know who I want to replace them.

I just do not understand when the Gov't says that all of this will create jobs...last I checked the oil companies and whatnot were pocketing MILLIONS....I haven't heard of them making huge investments in people and hiring more and more people, just them bringing in more profit for the elite few who get their million + dollar bonuses. By cutting all of this the only thing that will happen, IMO, will be the owners getting more money but not a proportional increase in workers.

You should check the job listings for Fort Mac...lot's of work and money if you don't mind getting your hands dirty. It's not the executives that are pumping oil and building pipelines.

I Imagine that's what the poachers (freezer stockers) said about many of the brooke trout lakes back when "there are lots of fish in this lake"... Now they are nearly all stocked in my region and the limits are extremely low. They didn't care about the lakes as long as they got a couple hundred meals out of it.

Edited by Rod Caster