4 species and 30 cms of snow...

Lip-ripper

Last week a buddy and I decided to head out to my cottage just inside the Quebec border, to target some late season Pickeral and happily pull up anything else that would bite our lines. The weather forecast was pretty negative but we figured if we headed in Friday before the storm, and left on Sunday after it had passed, we’d be good.

Friday night after making the trek via truck then snowmobile, we quickly got out onto the lake to punch a few holes and do some fishing and kill a few brews. We decided that night to stay close to home, setting up a baseballs throw from the cottage.

My buddy had a small tap and pulled up this little guy, not what we were targeting but I didn’t even know they were in the lake so it was neat to see…

lingmarch.jpg

The rest of the evening proved a bust, so we headed in to get the cottage nice and cozy, and plan our attack for the morning.

Overnight we got around 15 cms of snow, and were forecasted for much more but the wind hadn’t started yet so out onto the lake we headed, to fish a drop from 20 - 60 FOW in about a 100 foot distance. 9 am and my buddy hauls up this nice sized laker on a Swedish pimple.

lakermarch.jpg

A short while passes and the wind is still relatively calm. My balance tip-up set in 48 FOW went down ever so slightly but when I gave it a good hook set, a hearty weight was felt. Up from the depths rose this mean looking walleye. Super dark with a huge dorsal fin and dripping with blue slime. You can really see the blue in the fins and tail. After it was laying in the snow for a while it looked like someone poured a Gatorade on the ice!

walleyemarch.jpg

We also noticed that she was wrapped up in a bit of fishing line, and it looked to be pretty beefy stuff too. You can see just in front of the dorsal fin a piece sticking up. On the other side of her it had cut into the fish, and the line had actually grown into the fishes skin a bit.

line.jpg

We went onto catch a small perch, and miss two other monster fish. One was another nice walleye that got off when the treble hook caught the bottom of the hole. The other was of unknown species but was very heavy as well.

Just before noon, we could see a white blanket coming quickly across the lake. Just then, almost every line got a hit simultaneously but nothing hooked up and the wind then hit us like a brick wall.

After that, we spent the rest of the day huddled up against shore out of the wind, just running out to slush the holes and give them a quick jig before we had to retreat. The storm absolutely shut the fish down, but at least we got into solid action early. It snowed the rest of the day and we had a bit of a fun time on the journey home Sunday.

That walleye is so damn dark! Its eye looks pretty awesome too! All black with just that yellow dot. I suspect that's just the camera playing tricks on us?

Very cool!

Edited by EC1

Beauty fish. Assuming you released the walleye, were you able to remove the line from her?

We weren't able to get the line off of it, as you can see in the picture, it was wrapped in the gills on the one side. We decided to keep it rather than throw it back like that and have it slowly die.

The laker was released.