abu garcia revo reels

grt1

I was glancing through a bass pro catalogue and saw this abu Revo mtx reel, it looked pretty interesting so i started checking out the prices in other stores. generally the price range is anywhere from $342 at lebarons to $369 at cabelas canada , bass pro (US) and Cabelas (US) were both $349.

I went to the bass pro site and cliked on the web page that described the reel and read the reviews from customers, they were all raving about it, but , how can you judge the reviews for being independent and not planted. (if you know what i mean).

So I figured , if i'm going to spend that kind of money on a reel, (and i'm really torn on whether or not an expensive reel will catch any more fish than a cheaper reel) I'd like to hear what the people on a site I trust have to say about the reel.

Any comments, pro or con would be appreciated.

Haen't used it, but from a baitcaster I want 3 things. Comfort in my hands, Good Backlash control, ability to cast far with light lures.

To me the sub 200 dollar market has lots to offer that meet my needs. I would rather save a hundred dollars on the reel and get a more sensitive rod. This will put more fish in the boat imo.

I purchased an MDX recently off of ebay for 285 new. Best deal I could get by far. It you are interested you might be best to check there first.

Very nice reel - quite light. I have not been able to use it yet though so I can't give you a review.

It feels similar to a quantum smoke which is another reel that I really like.

I have an Abu Revo Premier purchased the first year they came out, it was the top of the line for Abu/Revo then. Light weight, low profile, very smooth and no problems. Its the best of the five or so baitcasters I own. As to whether you'll catch more fish with a quality reel, probably not. But, if you enjoy fishing and CAN AFFORD IT, you'll gain your moneys worth in pleasure casting a high end reel (of whatever make turns you on) and won't be sorry to have spent the extra....

Look for feedback on a couple of sites

Tackle Tour will be your best bet the recently did a review on the MGX reel (MDX)

I was going to try one but after some thought I dedided not to.

Also tacklewarehouse in the US has reviews form customers on the reel.

Hope thie helps

Edited by jchau53