Who uses a Shimano Core???

bucktail

I am planning to buy a Shimano Core and a Loomis Crankbait GL2 this spring and was wondering if the Core was worth the extra money or should I stay with a Curado 100 on the combo?

Wondering how they last and stand up, when you get ultra light on things they usually break down easier.

Darren

which core are we talking about?

I've used both of them

the Core 51/50 or the MGFV with 7:1 gear ratio might be too fast for cranks

your only option would be the core 100/101 with 6.3:1

If you can find a Curado 50/51E, grab those instead... for cranking where the rod is mostly facing down, the reel weight doesn't make that much of a difference

I would also recommend the Daiwa outta luck/Alphas for cranking

As for the GL2, for the same price, I would look at the new Crucial Crankbait series with IM-10 graphite and TC4.. seems like a much better deal to me.. I always see the crucial as a step above the GL2...

I have the core 51, dont use the core 100 but have 3 chronarch d's, same thing but aluminum frame.

I actually used one this past season on a cranking rod, but for lipless cranks, so the fast gear ratio was ok. Other than that they've held up great, no problems. Would buy again.

As for the gl2, id also take the Crucial series over the gl2. Or if you dont mind spending a bit extra,

Dobyns 704 or 705 Glass, my favourite cranking rods.

Too add, the smaller core only pulls in 28" compared to a CuradoE7 at 30 i believe. Once you have line out, its even less. I used it also at the end of the season with kvd 1.5 cranks and didnt notice any problems

Edited by danbob

I do I do :lol:

I used a Core 50MG7 last fall a little for pitching. Smooth as can be, I did cast a little with the reel also and was very happy, don't think I'll ever go with anything less of a baitcaster than a Core. Go with the 100MG or 100MG7 that way you get the line cap you need. Consider the new Chronarch reels too, there really nice and for a GL2 would be a good match.

Let us know your choice!

MTBF

I don't have a Core but I also think that going with a Crucial with TC4 would be better than the GL2. Those crucials load up really nice for casting crankbaits, you'll cast them crankbaits a country mile. I have a Citica on both my Crankbait rods loaded with 14lbs mono and they are really smooth so I can just imagine a Core.

I am pretty sure that Shimano still has a Compre with TC4 for crankbaits. I have a Compre for small crankbaits and a Crucial for my heavier ones.

Edited by wallyboss

I have the core and it is on a custom rod to keep the weight down. I can cast all day with the set up and not have any issues with forearms getting pumped. If you are putting it on a heavy unbalanced rod then save your money and accept a heavier setup.

Art

Too be honest I thought the MGFV with its higher speed would be just right as I thought the spool was smaller.

The crucial is a synthetic handle isnt it. Call me old fashioned but I love cork. I have used my present Loomis Crankbiat rod so much the guides are wearing out. Its an 845 so I was thinking of getting the lighter version so tthe Core was an idea to keep it light. Thats still a whack of cash tho.

It is going to be a smallie crankbait and small pike rod.

Thanks for the info guys and please keep it coming. I am going to start a new thread asking what is everyones favorite rod/reel combo is.

If you like cork handles, try hunting down a previous generation crucial crankbait rod, still better than the GL2 IMO..

the only thing that's different between the old and the new GL2 is the handle, color, and more models..

I was also going to suggest the Cumara Reaction series but you don't like EVA grips

another reason to go with a lower gear ratio is for the torque... if you plan to throw deep divers all day, you'll notice the lower gear ratio doesn't cause as much pain to ur wrists..

also ask yourself whether you like to burn or slow roll crankbaits..

I have the Core 51MG and I had a Core 101MG, while they're amazing reels, I like to use something else for cranking..

I am actually interested in what you mean by the guides wearing out on your loomis, care to show some pictures? chances are you could send the loomis back and get a new one for a lesser price. Going from the loomis CBR series to GL2 series is a downgrade

By the way, for the price of the Core, you could probably get the new Daiwa T3... cast further and has a stronger drag

Edited by ah_long

The top 3 guides not including tip top all started poping out at the foot. I was able to reinsert the feet of the guide and re glue them, strange thing is it happened all in a period of 2 weeks last year.

Its a cbr med heavy model, you think the GL2 would be a step down?

No opinion on the reel, but if it was me I'd pick up a Batson RX7 crankbait rod blank (they have 10 different models) and have Spiel build it to your spec's.

The blanks are fantastic and cheap. They range in price from $46-$68. A 7' crankbait blank rated 10-20lbs goes for $57.

IMO these blanks are as good or better than what's been mentioned here.

Best part is you can choose exactly what type of handle you'd like, upgrade the guides to Fuji SIC, and even factoring in Spiels labour the rod will still be cheaper than the ones you're considering.

Not only cheaper, but infinitely nicer as well.

My 2 cents.

I'm not sure if getting a core would make your fishing any more efficient vs a curado,

Own the MGFV, and it's good, but I don't think that it's worth 400 bucks. If you can get it for say, 250 and under, take it right away. The core I'd say is another workhorse reel, nothing amazingly fancy, but does the job well.

I have zero input about cranking though...It's one of the last things you'll see me throwing except for when I am fishing walleye at dams.