Need help picking a on Board battery charger?

coreyhkh

how does one determine how many banks you would need for the on board charger?

my boat has a 24 volt bowmount trolling motor and a cranking battery at the back... so 3 batteries = 3 banks???? or because the 2 trolling motor batteries are connected does it only need 1 bank?

my boat has a 24 volt bowmount trolling motor and a cranking battery at the back... so 3 batteries = 3 banks???? or because the 2 trolling motor batteries are connected does it only need 1 bank?

your outboard engine should keep your starting battery charged, so you need a 2 bank for the trolling batteries

Speaking of batteries, any of you guys run your kicker and main motor off the same battery?

Yes I do, main motor, kicker, electronics, bilge pump and even the riggers of the same battery, but it's a 1000CCA marine starting battery.

Real marine batteries are built with thicker plates and can withstand a lot more vibration and pounding on the water compare to regular car batteries.

It also helps to have the kicker with an alternator to keep the batteries topped up while you troll for hours.

Yes go with a 3 bank. Each battery needs it's own connection to the charger.

Some will say you only need a 2 as your motor charges the 3rd battery but with a 3 bank you can be assured that your starting battery will always be fully charged. Even when the boat is not used for long periods. I have my boat set up that way and leave it plugged in all the time (the charger will only come on when the batteries need it). Because of this I leave my batteries in the boat all winter and don't have to worry about hauling them out and periodically charging during the off season.

I know that when the snow finally melts here in the next 3 or 4 weeks that I will be able to pull the boat out and turn the key and it will start and be ready fer fishin'. Now the tons of dog hair from last year are another thing. When is someone gonna come out with an automatic dog hair removal machine? :whistling:

Best deal on the net right now:

http://www.amazonsupply.com/noco-gen3-genius-battery-charger/dp/B003JSO1X2/ref=sr_1_3?sr=1-3&qid=1317011366

Free shipping in the US, I drove across to get in Niagara Falls NY (www.cbiusa.com). Very good reviews - Bass Cat and a few other manufacturers have used NOCO chargers. I declared the charger coming back across, but did not ahve to pay the taxes - border guy must have been in a good mood. Talk to Billy Bob - maybe get it shipped to his place and go for a visit.....lol.