Canadians welcome back millions of dollars

Pikeslayer8

http://www.kenoradai....aspx?e=3468347

Border blues cured: Rickford announces 'best news we've heard in years for the tourism industry'

<h3 class="npSubheadline" style="margin-top: 3px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 18px; font-weight: normal; font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; "></h3>

By Jon Thompson

Posted 3 days ago

A temporary cure for the tourism industry's border blues was announced Friday, making it easier for Americans, who have minor criminal histories, to cross.

Under the Tourism Facilitation Action Plan, Americans with a single indictable offence in their criminal histories, for which they served less than six months in jail, are less likely to be turned back at the border.

The plan will expand Visa Application Centres from 60 private sector offices to 150 globally by 2014. It will also give Canada Border Services Agency the discretion to waive fees for certain cases in issuing Temporary Resident Permits.

Northwestern Ontario's hunting and fishing lodge owners have long complained busloads of tourists are being turned back from particularly the Fort Frances border crossing. At the discretion of border guards, one person's Drinking Under the Influence or other outdated infractions, deemed minor by the outfitters, has turned away millions of dollars every year and the industry has been lobbying for change.

"I think there's a sense of relief amongst the tourism stakeholders in Northwestern Ontario," said Kenora's Conservative MP Greg Rickford. "(This is) a streamlined process where a border guard has the discretion to permit that person to come in without the rather lengthy documentation process, and frankly, some of the embarrassing context that may arise from that, at the border or prior to, in terms of interaction with the group they're coming up with."

Calling the issue "one of the biggest files I've ever faced," Rickford was clear the federal government was not condoning illegal behaviour, nor will it impact the vigilance of border security concerning entry by foreign nationals. Those with serious criminal histories or even two minor incidents will still be subject to the former regulations.

The announcement brought elation to tourism operators.

"This is the best news we've heard in years for the tourism industry," said Smith's Camps owner Al Smith, who has been an outspoken proponent of change for years, claiming his 41-year-old business alone was losing $1 million annually.

"I know a lot of people around here don't think the tourism industry is a huge deal but we generate huge tax. If we could get the snowmobile thing happening in the winter again, it would generate more tax than Northwestern Ontario has ever seen."

Halley's Camps president Eugene Halley was also among the voices lobbying the government and credited Rickford for his effort.

"This should really help with tourism in the area," he said. "We're looking at this one-time pass, at least getting people up here to see what we're about. It's for minor offences, so at the same time, we're not jeopardizing the security of Canada or anything like that. I'm happy with what I see here."

There are bilateral implications to changing the Immigration Act and the announced changes are only temporary. Rickford hopes to confer with the United States, the Tourism Industry Association of Canada, the Northwestern Ontario Tourism Association, the Ministry of Tourism and local outfitters by the end of summer to determine the plan's effectiveness.

[email protected]

I for one American angler have wondered why their was such a precipitous drop of people staying at the motels, eating at the restaurants, buying bait and gas after crossing the border. The border lines were just getting shorter and shorter. I have been doing this adventure for over 40 years and consider myself somewhat perceptive.

This is a major boon for Canadian tax roles, Canadian tourist outfitters and some Americans who have done something stupid in their past. canadian.gifcanadian.gifclapping.gif

Ya, sure let the criminals into Canada. I agree, if it was a one time offence going back 7 yrs or more fine. You can pass that off as a mistake someone make in their life for what ever reason.

The problem is, will the American Customs border, open it up the same way? I doubt it. Just like free trade, it's a one way street in my opinion.

Sorry, I like to see any tourist enjoy our resources, but it would be nice to see the USA return the favour. One of my buddies got dinged for an impaired 12 yrs ago, he can not fish with me on the Niagara or some of the Southern tribs because of it.

Ya, sure let the criminals into Canada. I agree, if it was a one time offence going back 7 yrs or more fine. You can pass that off as a mistake someone make in their life for what ever reason.

The problem is, will the American Customs border, open it up the same way? I doubt it. Just like free trade, it's a one way street in my opinion.

Sorry, I like to see any tourist enjoy our resources, but it would be nice to see the USA return the favour. One of my buddies got dinged for an impaired 12 yrs ago, he can not fish with me on the Niagara or some of the Southern tribs because of it.

Ron, sometimes ya just need the "bigger man" to step forward. Canada is taking this role. Hopefully the US will follow suit.

It just sucks about your buddy, but this is definitely not about letting criminals into Canada.

I got dinged with an impaired 10 years ago and I go a cross the border all the time. They even asked me about my history and I told them. I think your buddy did something more serious or he hasn't even tried to cross.

The US might be more progressive than we are on this one.

A single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S; however, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States.

:rolleyes:

The US might be more progressive than we are on this one.

A single DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S; however, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States.

Darn it Roy you sure no how to put the kibosh on a good ole let's slam the USA opportunity. :rolleyes: In all sincerity, I'm glad for the sake of the Canadian tourist industry that common sense did prevail and I hope this provides a boost to the tourist business.

No one is doing the math. "Millions of dollars" ??? Exactly how many people have been turned away at our border that were on their way to a lodge?

Some turned away at the border I'm sure, but most just know the rules and don't include Canada in their list of possible holiday destinations.

Some turned away at the border I'm sure, but most just know the rules and don't include Canada in their list of possible holiday destinations.

Yup

My friend cant go to NY state with me because of mistakes he made a long time ago...

He's changed and lives a straight and honest life...bought a house... Has a good girl...

He's gunna try and get a pardon or something to clear his record...

No one is doing the math. "Millions of dollars" ??? Exactly how many people have been turned away at our border that were on their way to a lodge?

Does this help an industry that is seeing hard times? Yes. Is this alone going to save a lodge? No.

This is the best news we've heard in years for the tourism industry," said Smith's Camps owner Al Smith, who has been an outspoken proponent of change for years, claiming his 41-year-old business alone was losing $1 million annually.

Ok, I'm bad at math, but if one of the major proponents is claiming a million alone, well even if he is majorly exaggerating its hardly a stretch for all of the lodges and fly-ins tourist outfitters combined to hit that small number. I figure that my group of 8 spends approximately 14000 on my trip alone. A very conservative estimate. I have absolutely no idea of how many people or groups are turned away at the border over the course, but I'll bet its over 700 people. Millions of dollars turned away. Doesn't really help the repeat business either.

You know, its a good thing we are talking about here. There is no downside for anybody. I feel it's good relations between the two best countries in the world. Hell, even if we are talking a few thousand bucks, it would still be a good thing, but we are talking millions here.

rolleyes.gif

Not to mention the hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bait shops, sportsmans cards and licenses. Heck, I spend a fortune buying stale cuban cigars.

rofl2.gif

Edited by Pikeslayer8

Does this help an industry that is seeing hard times? Yes. Is this alone going to save a lodge? No.

Yes it will. It's not about the people turned away it's the people that wan't to go but are not allowed. I have said before I am one group going to one town with one outfitter. If this is the case two good friends of mine that have only dreamed about experiencing what I have for many years will be able to. They have not because I told them they can't because of DUI's. So if they go it's EXTRA $ on lodging $ on outdoor cards & fees $$$$$$ to the outfitter ( HUGE) $ on your taxes $ on souveniers & the list goes on. Remember I'm only one group, one town, going to one outfitter & times how many groups towns & outfitters. you question save a lodge????

Our dollar has been near par for the last 4-5 years and the U.S. economy has taken a bit of a beating at the same time.

People with pasts that prevent them from crossing our border existed before the above mentioned issues. Dance around it all you want but until the american's economy bounces back less people will be coming to our country to recreate.

Not to mention that now you need a passport to cross the boarder.

People with pasts that prevent them from crossing our border existed before the above mentioned issues. Dance around it all you want but until the american's economy bounces back less people will be coming to our country to recreate.

Not to mention that now you need a passport to cross the boarder.

Not from our perspective. We still have the outfitters from Canada come to shows over here to promote your industry. Ask them how many times they are asked can i get across the border if I have a DUI. I think the outfitters have been the driving force behind this & the last thing I want is for all of you to think that all Americans are drunks. The dollar being equal should promote each of us. What is wrong is that I can get into your country with a drivers license but need a passport to return. This does not detour anyone that I know of from going Ok get a passport it's no big deal. I will admit in the day when we got .30 on the dollar was nice & it has become more expensive however what Canada has to offer even with the negative dollar amount is worth it!!! & hope that the new legislation will only improve on what Canada has to offer

A little off topic but I have to laugh when I hear people say they can't or won't go to Canada anymore because of the currency exchange. Trust me, I've vacationed almost all over the world and dollar for dollar the Canadian experience, for me, provides the most value for my money; nothing remotely close.