Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

frozen-fire

Is there anyone here who has owned a duck tolling retriever?

We are looking to get a dog in the near future... after we move in to our new place.

I'm looking for a loyal and active dog. One that will go everywhere with me. Runs, hikes, fishing trips, etc.

The description of this dog seems to fit my wants perfectly.

They are not very common, but I have seen a few. From my brief interactions with them, I know I definitely want one.

I love their red coats and the white blaze on the forehead that matches their white paws.

I have signed up to run a full marathon later this fall and will be in training mode prior to that. It would be great if I could have a companion run with me...especially at night LOL.

I'm wondering if dogs can handle running 20-30km in one go.

Any input is appreciated :)

30 km in one go would be a bit much for this breed IMO. And you would never want to run him hard like that in the first year, to much bone development taking place. More of an agility/retrieving type dog. Great breed though and obviously great swimmers.

Edited by Jaspers On Point

I'm not a dog person - I wouldn't consider owning a dog and for the most part I don't like anyone else's dog either. That said, my uncle owns the breed you are asking about and its probably the only dog I've ever been comfortable around and enjoyed the company of. Great dog - quiet, well trained, awesome with his small kids.

Take that for what its worth.

Another breed that you might consider, if you can find a reputable breeder here in Canada is a Kelpie. I've spent quite a bit of time in Australia and have been around this breed a lot. They are as tough as nails, with great physical endurance, highly intelligent, loyal and even tempered. A Kelpie could easily run a complete marathon and then some.

Kelpie

Edited by Old Man

Very cool dogs. I was very close to getting one a few years ago but the deal fell through at the last minute. Aparently they are too smart for their own good. Lots of exercise and constant training to keep their brains active. I also agree about not running them to much in the first year because of bone development. Here is a link to a forum for hunting dogs. You may get some first hand info from these guys. http://forums.oodmag.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

be prepared to run them/stimulate them daily (sounds like you are) . most kinds of working/gun dog need daily exercise otherwise they may get destructive. definatley not apartment/condo dogs, you need a big yard or property for them to run.