Booming ice

Jer

Last night we were out on Buckhorn for a couple hours and did rather poorly compared to most evenings over the last couple weeks.

Usually we've been getting a steady perch bite until almost sundown, then a brief lull and then a pretty good crappie bite for half an hour or so. Last night the bite was almost completely shut down.

The ice was angry with an almost constant rumble like a thunder storm with lots of sharp cracks, whacks and bangs. Making ice I guess with the cold temps and no snow cover.

Do ya think this effects the fish? We're only on top of 8 or 9 feet of water so I imagine the fish must feel the vibrations from the cracking ice, it was about as loud as I've ever heard it.

I remember having caught fish over noisy ice, but I can't see why not. I'd say panfish are usually more timid compared to others, but you shouldn't discount the ice making weather.

We've had rather warm temps for the last while and then you got this "cold" day all of a sudden.

Ha...

Your gunna be on way worse ice then that...lol... There are only a few people willing to walk on the ice you'll be on Saturday... Lol

Cracks arent a bad thing...

''COUGH'' ''COUGH'' Mike..........i got a bad cold......I'm gonna have to cancelstretcher.gif

Ice cracks when it is cold and the lake is "making" ice. It's growing, casing stress, which is released by cracking. That's way "loud ice is safe ice". Melting ice makes no noise!!

As far as shutting the fish down. It probably doesn't help. Thunder seams to shut them down too.

If it's gotten really cold out that means a high pressure system has moved in. High pressure cold fronts tend to slow the fishing right down. This could be a bigger factor than the noisy ice.

If it's gotten really cold out that means a high pressure system has moved in. High pressure cold fronts tend to slow the fishing right down. This could be a bigger factor than the noisy ice.

Well that's our usual "go to" excuse...Cold Front!!!