New T8 lighting nf

Skipper D

Are thease t8 floresent lights any good , i just installed 5 eight footers in my heated shop , they all have pink one foot spots showing in the light tubes , whats up with that , ,any info guys would we greatful before i tear them down and take them all back ..............Ron

Iam happy now , went to do an ice shatter on a parking lot and getting back now and going in the shop i find then good and brite now , left them on while i was gone , they must'a had to warm up , thease t8's are new with new fixtures i picked up at lowes this morning , Thanks a million guys for answering .

I do energy efficient retrofits in the multi residential market so believe me i have alot of background with T8's. Don't waist your time with T5's they are dead in the water! The newer T8's consume a fraction more when it comes to electricity and cost 75% less per lamp! New t8's are rated for 30-36,000 hours dependent on how often you switch them on and off! The only thing all fluorescent lighting doesn't like is the cold! even though T8's and the soon to be unattainable T12's have in common is the size of the bracket that holds them! thus when changing lamps from t12 to t8 you must change the ballast from the old style magnetic variety to the newer electronic ballasts. Just for the record a 2 lamp 4' t8 consumes 59 watts total with 16% more lumens output than a T12 of the same length but the T12's consume a whopping 81 watts! If colour rendering isnt an issue for you and you want maximum light output then go to a 6000k lamp also known as arctic white! of if you like let me know and I can get you LED t8 lamps rated for 50,000hrs plus that only consume 18 watts each and no ballast! just wire direct to on of the end brackets put in the lamps and your done!

Oh did i mention each 4' LED is $55 oooopppppsss!!

Take it easy!

I do energy efficient retrofits in the multi residential market so believe me i have alot of background with T8's. Don't waist your time with T5's they are dead in the water! The newer T8's consume a fraction more when it comes to electricity and cost 75% less per lamp! New t8's are rated for 30-36,000 hours dependent on how often you switch them on and off! The only thing all fluorescent lighting doesn't like is the cold! even though T8's and the soon to be unattainable T12's have in common is the size of the bracket that holds them! thus when changing lamps from t12 to t8 you must change the ballast from the old style magnetic variety to the newer electronic ballasts. Just for the record a 2 lamp 4' t8 consumes 59 watts total with 16% more lumens output than a T12 of the same length but the T12's consume a whopping 81 watts! If colour rendering isnt an issue for you and you want maximum light output then go to a 6000k lamp also known as arctic white! of if you like let me know and I can get you LED t8 lamps rated for 50,000hrs plus that only consume 18 watts each and no ballast! just wire direct to on of the end brackets put in the lamps and your done!

Oh did i mention each 4' LED is $55 oooopppppsss!!

Take it easy!

i'll say like fisherman , its good to know this stuff and to know i made the right decision this morning when i bought them , they sure are bright little suckers , i am in the house with the light on in the shop and i have nerver seen inside at night so good from the house , led's ... i 'll wait , its gona take me a while to get over what i paid fot thease .......... thank you for sharing your smarts with us .......Ron

if you have t12's i would consider going to LEDs the consumption per 2 lamp 4' fixture goes from 81 watts to 36 watts thats a savings of 45 watts. Assuming you use the lamps 12 hours a day and factoring the cost of electricity to your house is appx. 11 cents per killowatt hour this results in a financial savings of $21.68 annually thus the 2 leds would have an ROI of 20%...

I really have to start leaving my work at work Im going ice fishing in the morning LOL!!!

if you have t12's i would consider going to LEDs the consumption per 2 lamp 4' fixture goes from 81 watts to 36 watts thats a savings of 45 watts. Assuming you use the lamps 12 hours a day and factoring the cost of electricity to your house is appx. 11 cents per killowatt hour this results in a financial savings of $21.68 annually thus the 2 leds would have an ROI of 20%...

I really have to start leaving my work at work Im going ice fishing in the morning LOL!!!

electricity to house is 11 cents per kw hour?

in oshawa including delivery tax and the rest of the crap it works out to 8.3 cents kw hour?

electricity to house is 11 cents per kw hour?

in oshawa including delivery tax and the rest of the crap it works out to 8.3 cents kw hour?

$.11 is just the standard used in the industry when calculating savings. Some are higher and some are lower,

Edited by Fins and Skins

Heres a heads up for any one getting ready to purchace or install thease new T8's , I am not sure if you will have this problem or not , when i installed them then turning them on they glowed pink but were bright white on each end , after a few hours of being on and i mean a few hours , they finaly went completely bright white , seems they needed to charge for some time , now they come on bright right away each time they are turned on . Good luck .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I agree totally with bassassin about the T5, the only thing different that I would have done Skip is get a fixture that uses 4-foot lamps instead of the 8-footers. only reason is the cost of the 4-foot lamps is a lot lower then then the 8-foot T8's and easier to transport. Something to think about on future purchases

Chuck

I agree totally with bassassin about the T5, the only thing different that I would have done Skip is get a fixture that uses 4-foot lamps instead of the 8-footers. only reason is the cost of the 4-foot lamps is a lot lower then then the 8-foot T8's and easier to transport. Something to think about on future purchases

Chuck

Your probaly right there FS , what can i say ..... its old dogs and new tricks that are the problem some times , the cost of the 8' T8's blew me away ...... 13.99 each .........man! ,next time my friend next time ...lol

I replaced all the T-12 fixtures in my garage with 20 new 4' T-8's Skip and never experienced the pink glow your talking about.

The ballasts in the old fixtures were buzzing so loud I kept the lights turned off unless really needed but now the peace & quietness of the new electronic ballasts darned near puts me to sleep. :D