3 mile lake

buckster

Got invited to a cottage on 3mile lake. The cottage owner isn't a fisherman but he does tell me there are walleye in the lake? Anyone ever ice fish this lake or by chance know what species are in it. Any tips would be appreciated. There are a few 3 mile lakes, the one I'm referring to is in the muskoka are.

Thanks in advance gang!

Edited by buckster

Can't help you with the ice fishing info Buckster, but I can tell you that there's 3 good fishing poles and a whack of tackle and related odds & ends laying on the bottom from when myself, my dad and my bro rolled a boat over on that lake about 40 years ago.

Ah yes, the good ole days :lol: :lol:

There are a couple of Three Mile Lakes within Muskoka....the one I'm familiar with, close to Raymond, Utterson, Windermere, is known for walleye, but definitely doesn't have herring.

Ice fishing is slow, but you can usually run into some good sized perch and the odd walleye. There is a cottage rental outfit that puts huts out in the winter, and at the deeper end of the lake there are usually a few huts out, anywhere between "Wonder Beach" and what I believe is Bathayalcock Island.

Keep one line down with a minnow on bottom and another tied in 3 or 4 feet above it, and jig another line aggressively close by. There isn't a TON of structure in the lake, aside from weeds weeds weeds. And Lew's tackle collection.

Good luck thumbsup_anim.gif

Of course, you're not far from Lake Rosseau....you will likely be able to get on the ice in Windermere Bay and try for a few lakers

There are a couple of Three Mile Lakes within Muskoka....the one I'm familiar with, close to Raymond, Utterson, Windermere, is known for walleye, but definitely doesn't have herring.

thumbsup_anim.gif

Same lake Three Mile Lake and it certainly has ciscos, I normally call them herring, but the lake does have a good population of them. They are not commonly caught by walleye anglers but we used to catch huge ciscos in the fall in the deeper arm of the lake.

Fair enough....I have been fishing the lake for over 20 years but rarely leave the shallow muddy DeeBank end...have honestly fished Hammell's bay less than 5 times. Never heard anyone talk about catching cisco/herring in there either....but that bay's definitely deep enough to hold them, and that lake offers up many surprises, so I'll believe you.

Heck....there might even be a few brookies left roaming around from way back in the day.....

Edited by johnnyb