Cozumel Trip Day 2

Fang

Finally got my prints back from the disposable camera I had to buy in Mexico for Day 2. My normal digital was DOA after taking a drink in salt water at the end of day 1. Started the day in 30+ kph winds and found 1 small school on the flats. I got a couple of shots in and rolled a big boy that took off and parted the 12 lb leader so fast the line coming off the reel could not keep up. After an hour of poling and glassing but seeing no more bonefish in shallow, my guide says it's time to spin fish. The back side of this large lagoon is all 3-4 feet deep and we pull up and head back deeper in the mangroves.

Through a small narrows in the trees we emerge to an open bay about the size of 4 or 5 football fields. The bank immediately to our right is overhanging mangroves that can hold snook and tarpon. I pitch a small tube jig along the trees and see a couple of small snook follow the bait but all we catch are these snapper. Caught 1 almost every pitch. I get told these are babies and too small to eat.

Image013_12A.jpg

The wind is howling but we get into the first section and see a massive expanse of muddy water. Alberto smiles and says the bonefish are here feeding and they stir up the bottom. Second cast connects. Hard to see but the water here is pretty muddy from feeding fish.

Image011_10A.jpg

Fishing was good all day moving from muddy water patch to muddy water patch. Small 3/16 natural bucktail and green Trigger X twister took equal amount of fish

Image012_11A.jpg

Nice surprises mixed in with the bonefish. Caught several small jacks and ladyfish and again the one that got away was a nice big jack around 5-6 lbs

Image010_9A.jpg

After my little mishap falling off the front casting deck into the water on day 1, here's where I was planted all of day 2

Image007_6A.jpg

One fish came back for a visit and Alberto had fun asking me if I wanted to kiss this one. Look closely and you can make out his grin as he's teasing me

Image014_13A.jpg

Day 2 was 5 for 9 on bonefish a few lost jacks and many ladyfish and needlefish came flying off the hook at boatside. I'm already looking at the last minute deals and wanting to go back for April May. That's the best time in Cozumel as the winds are very small and the bigger schools of bonefish and permit come in on the flats.

My care package is almost complete for Alberto. I stopped by a few fly shops and gathered up some fur and supplies for them to tie their own flies. I did manage to tie up about a dozen of my flies and slipped them in the box

If you are ever looking for a great family vacation do not hesitate to book Cozumel. The fishing is pretty good too!!